`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is beckett used for pricing anymore?

RE: Is beckett used for pricing anymore?
Nope Beckett too outdated in today's age. If I want a fair accurate price be it selling or buying. I take the last 10 SOLD examples and take the average SOLD price.

If you're trying to get a very rough estimate of the value of your collection it's fine. Just remember there is a column on the left side too.

If you're trying to sell just use ebay or worthpoint(for low # or rare cards).

Beckett just can't keep up. I'm still waiting for the value of the 2017 Heritage Judge action to update. I won't say what it lists for but look it up it's rather comical how far off it is.

I mostly use Beckett for the OPG and checklists anyway.

(06-26-2019, 12:02 PM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: One of the things that irks me is when someone will strictly trade by BV. For instance, I had someone want my Acuna Topps Update RCs when they were $20 apiece on ebay. He was like they only book for $6, so I'll give you $6 in trade and sent me an offer for 5 or 6 $1 BV cards.

So you have to be smart.
While I actually go by Beckett pricing when doing trades, I always keep in mind if a player or card is hot. As it takes time for Beckett to update their pricing, and sometimes a card can skyrocket in price before it gets updated. It is also one reason why I tend not to list very many hot young rookies in ORG for trade.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

The guide is off on most if not all older cards such as the 90's cards. I remember seeing a $20.00 card listed on Beckett sell for $450.00 to $500.00 on 3 different occasions. Beckett never changed the price to match this and that means someone not as knowledgeable on a card might be thinking he is getting a deal when he is getting suckered. Remember its opinion based a guide can't give you a person's opinion. Let's say I have been searching for this card for 5 years and when I find it I might not want to wait another 5 years and I bid 5 times Beckett value but another had a higher opinion than me and bid 10 times over Beckett I lose he wins. I would say trade what you're comfortable with if you both feel it's fair the guide shouldn't matter.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

As soon as a dealer says "BV is..." I pass. Beckett value is not as accurate as checking eBay finalized sales pricing.
I focus my PC on Ken Griffey Jr but I also collect Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader. Secondary collection: Seattle teams & Univ. of Arizona

(07-02-2019, 09:38 PM)jumper4d8 Wrote: As soon as a dealer says "BV is..." I pass. Beckett value is not as accurate as checking eBay finalized sales pricing.
Everyone has to start somewhere. BV on Beckett is a price point..a guide.
When someone says: BV is, I say: ebay sales are..and off it goes to a deal..or not.

Using eBay is a guide has its own problems like shill bidding and scams. So I use multiple sources to determine the price.

In the end..you have to be happy with the purchase of the sale.