`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is beckett used for pricing anymore?

Is beckett used for pricing anymore?
Do people still go by the Beckett guide and online guide, or does every one just rely on Ebay, VCP and other sites?
PC: Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Hank Aaron, Harmon Killebrew

RE: Is beckett used for pricing anymore?
I only trade on Beckett so I figure if the other trader and I both use the same price guide then the trade must be ok. Plus, I don't rely on ebay because 10 people can list the same card and you will get 10 different prices.

Mixed.
For trades I use Beckett prices. For most sales I use Beckett pricing and then check eBay, especially on higher priced cards I am selling.

Beckett is just a guide, but I use it when someone is selling or trading a card that has a lower price on Beckett and they want a lot more.

Example: Card A #ed/50 is Beckett $50. The person is selling or wants to trade and says it is worth $75. They claim there prices are from (name another place)..These I shy away from.

A guide is a guide, but some people think that the highest price on eBay sold last year is good for now...I always temper the price variations.

Sorry for the long answer

I use both for trades. I really don't sell anything as trading is much more fun. There are times when Beckett says a card is worth $5, but sells for $25 so I try to use the sell value on those types of cards. Most people that I have dealt with trade by Beckett value, but I have dealt with people who only go by sell value. Most of the time I am still able to work out a trade though.

Usually I do not see a large variation..except a card is sold on eBay before pricing comes out and someone bought it for $25 and the card listed at $10. When surveying the other sales after the Beckett comes out, I usually see the sold prices average out closer to the price guide listing.
Of course all bets are off on cards #ed/25 and less.

Thanks for all the fee back guys. I have always used beckett. Going in I know it is just a guide and a price range, and it up to you and the other person to come to an agreement. I just have been seeing other post a lot lately saying people dont use beckett what so ever and that its out dated .
PC: Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Hank Aaron, Harmon Killebrew

(06-26-2019, 10:10 AM)Addakin Wrote: I just have been seeing other post a lot lately saying people dont use beckett what so ever and that its out dated .
There are situations I have seen where a rookie card comes out in 2013 and the value is still the same in 2019 when that person is no longer in the majors. But, unless it is an auto, who cares if the value is really still $4 or dropped to $1.50? We should not get that picky when using a "pricing guide".

When it comes to high-end autos, due diligence in looking at the market using any and all sources would be highly recommended.

I agree the magazine price guide is outdated a lot..especially if you pull out a Nov 2018 guide and look up Pete Alsono for example..that is why I use the on-line..it is more up to date..but not perfect by any means..

(06-26-2019, 10:47 AM)bonds20001 Wrote: I agree the magazine price guide is outdated a lot..especially if you pull out a Nov 2018 guide and look up Pete Alsono for example..that is why I use the on-line..it is more up to date..but not perfect by any means..
I was referring to the OPG...some cards are never updated but that is to be expected with millions and millions of cards out there!

For most cards, I use ebay to come up with a value whether trading, buying or selling. If it's lower end stuff, like inserts, parallels, SPs, etc., I just trade most of those on here and just go by BV.

But nobody really uses Beckett BV anymore, especially on bigger things. One of the things that irks me is when someone will strictly trade by BV. For instance, I had someone want my Acuna Topps Update RCs when they were $20 apiece on ebay. He was like they only book for $6, so I'll give you $6 in trade and sent me an offer for 5 or 6 $1 BV cards.

So you have to be smart.

Also about the 10 different prices on 10 different listings...I take an average of the last 4-5 and use that as the price. Too many factors, time of day, seller/buyer relationship, etc., can lead to different prices. So you have to take an average of the last few.