`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for everyone

RE: Question for everyone
(05-24-2019, 12:10 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I once sent a card to Rafael Palmeiro when he was with the Rangers ... I got the Palmeiro back unsigned but they "threw in" a signed Nolan Ryan postcard, LOL
Nice upgrade!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(05-24-2019, 12:10 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I once sent a card to Rafael Palmeiro when he was with the Rangers ... I got the Palmeiro back unsigned but they "threw in" a signed Nolan Ryan postcard, LOL
I think Raffy's fingers were probably so pumped he found it difficult to hold a writing utensil.

I have had some success with TTM autos receiving my cards back signed by several HOFers, mostly the older guys, some sending extras along with the cards I'd sent. There were only a couple who I didn't receive my cards back from.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I can't say that I have ever sent many items of for autographs. I did send a baseball the the Cardinals back in 1968 and asked for it to be autographed by the team. They sent it back. Autographed by the whole team including Brock, Gibson, Flood, Cepeda and Roger Maris.

(05-26-2019, 02:10 PM)cspen Wrote: I can't say that I have ever sent many items of for autographs. I did send a baseball the the Cardinals back in 1968 and asked for it to be autographed by the team. They sent it back. Autographed by the whole team including Brock, Gibson, Flood, Cepeda and Roger Maris.
That was a pretty good year to have signed! Some greats right there!!!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I figure Trout shouldn't have any problem signing my card and sending it back. He signs a lot of autographs for free at the different ballparks. The Angels were just here in St Louis and they showed him going down the line along the stands and signing everything that was put in front of him.

When I was a kid (early 90s) I sent cards to David Robinson and Terry Cummings. I got the Cummings card back within a few weeks. I waited on the David Robinson. And waited...

And waited...

About 2 years after I'd mailed the card out, and long after I'd forgotten about it, I received some mail from the Spurs, and there was the card, signed with a note.
Currently looking for rare Sean Doolittle cards
1992 & 1996 Dream Team autos and relics
Bay Area High School and College star autographs

Slightly off topic, but the Minnesota Vikings announced that they will only sign items from kids under age 18 at the practice facility and other venues. This is to curtail all those grubbies that get items signed and then go on eBay to earn a fast buck.

I like the announcement. Now, where do I hire a 16-year old to get my items signed!! Smile

(06-25-2019, 11:58 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Slightly off topic, but the Minnesota Vikings announced that they will only sign items from kids under age 18 at the practice facility and other venues. This is to curtail all those grubbies that get items signed and then go on eBay to earn a fast buck.

I like the announcement. Now, where do I hire a 16-year old to get my items signed!! Smile
Yeah, the profiteers definitely ruin it for the rest of us who are just collectors.

So back in the day during his rookie year, Tyreke Evans of the Sacramento Kings was signing at a Carl's Jr.

He was only supposed to sign for like 250 people, one auto per ... I got there about an hour and a half early and the line was already snaking out of the parking lot.

(At the time he was only the third NBA rookie to ever average 20 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists along with LeBron and Oscar, so he was immensely popular among Kings fans).

Luckily Tyreke stayed and signed for everybody in line, but when it was looking dicey whether I would get his auto or not, I watched this one total grease ball pull up and unload like a dozen basketballs out of the back of his equally greasy car.

I was like, yeah, I'm sure all 12 of those basketballs are going up on his mantel.

It's frustrating because yeah, I get it ... why would a grown man want another grown man's signature (especially someone younger than he is, which almost all pro athletes are younger than me now).

But, everybody is into something ... my dad has a motorcycle and I could not be less interested in it or understand the point of why someone would want to ride one.

Like, my Trout auto I got through the mail ... there is no amount of money I would sell it for, and I will be passing it down to generations of my family (hopefully they will, too).

Well, the season is over for most players. The card I sent to Trout will either never get returned (which is no big deal). Or else he took all fan mail home to work on during the off season.