`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To grade or not to grade. That is the question.

To grade or not to grade. That is the question.
So, I have a bunch of low end (Pacific, Upper Deck, Score, Quantum Leaf, etc) Tom Brady rookies that I'm going to sell soon. I was thinking about getting them graded first because I figured that if they grade well, I could potentially get more money for them (and therefore have more money to spend on other cards!)

However, it looks like BGS has raised their fees since the last time I sent anything in for grading (which was probably at least 8 or 9 years ago), so now I'm wondering if it is even worth getting them graded at all.

Thoughts?
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

RE: To grade or not to grade. That is the question.
If you go the non-guaranteed route, you're looking at a minimum of 14 months before getting them back. I've been keeping up with the BGS section of the boards and several people have mentioned that's how long they've been waiting.

The least expensive guaranteed option is 30 business days at $15 per card but has no sub-grades. I haven't looked on eBay to see if buyers care about sub-grades or not when it comes to the final sale but BGS has always been known for the subs so I gotta think buyers would rather have the subs.

The least expensive guaranteed option is 30 business days at $25 per card with subs. What'd you need to consider is how much more a BGS 9.0 or 9.5 would sell for over a raw card. Based on what I've seen, BGS 9.0 would go for around or at a slight premium to a raw card but not enough to justify the grading cost.

Yeah, grading is ridiculous now. I would look to a different company for Brady Rookies. It isn't cheaper, but they seem to sell higher.

(04-07-2019, 10:14 AM)jplarson Wrote: If you go the non-guaranteed route, you're looking at a minimum of 14 months before getting them back. I've been keeping up with the BGS section of the boards and several people have mentioned that's how long they've been waiting.

The least expensive guaranteed option is 30 business days at $15 per card but has no sub-grades. I haven't looked on eBay to see if buyers care about sub-grades or not when it comes to the final sale but BGS has always been known for the subs so I gotta think buyers would rather have the subs.

The least expensive guaranteed option is 30 business days at $25 per card with subs. What'd you need to consider is how much more a BGS 9.0 or 9.5 would sell for over a raw card. Based on what I've seen, BGS 9.0 would go for around or at a slight premium to a raw card but not enough to justify the grading cost.
14 months?! That is outrageous!

I agree about the subgrades. That is one of the things I love about BGS compared to other companies.

I'm fairly confident that each of the cards would grade at least a 9, but I'm not confident about them getting 9.5s even though I've had a bunch of cards come back from them as 9.5s in the past. I've never had anything grade as a 10 from them, so I'm not even thinking about that.

I guess I'll just sell them ungraded. The potential upside doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks for your input.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

Or just trade them to me, problem solved!!!