`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Are Phillies fans happy?

RE: Are Phillies fans happy?
This Phillies Phanatic is very Happy. Personally, I think the Phillies got a bargin for an average of $25m per year for the most electric / star in all of baseball. Harper takes the organization from ho hum to "Showtime". I love Mike Trout and think he is the greatest player ever (excluding Babe Ruth), however he just doesn't have that "spark" a lot of our stars in other sports have.

From the collecting perspective, I really haven't / don't care about his National cards. I am a Phillies card collector 1st, set collector second and a semi Trout collector third. (the bat signal has been sent re 2019 Heritage!!!!!). Glad I ordered multiple Phillie Team Topps Now Road to Opening Day sets. 1st Harper Philles cards sb showing up with possible Auto's in a couple of weeks now. Can't forget to get some Topps Now Cards when those are available as well as Living Set cards now that he is on the Phillies (think his card was already issued as a Nat.)

I also take the stance that baseball is entertainment (though I can't think of a world without baseball and the enjoyment that I get) and is no different then movie start making $30m a film. Are our social priorities in terms of money all wrong? That's up the rest of you........
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

It's definitely a good day in the City of Brotherly Love!
I think that it was a brilliant move by The Phillies. They kept him in the same division, close to his fan-base in Washington, they locked him in for the rest of his career (39-40?) and they really will have a person that will put butts into the seats!
The NL East this season will be 'must see TV!'
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Wow I can't believe he got this kind of money and years and people are saying it's a good signing. First let's call it like it is, he is not even close to the best player in the game. The most overhyped? Yes. If the Phillies fans are excited cool but this guy hasn't done anything to be considered one of the best players in baseball! He hasn't done a thing to warrant the years and money he's gonna receive but hey it's not my money. In a sport where it truly is a team game, giving this much money to one player, even Trout, isn't gonna get you a ring. It's been proven year after year, time after time, you can't buy a winner.
[Image: drdwe0.jpg]

(03-01-2019, 12:33 AM)ryanmo5 Wrote: Wow I can't believe he got this kind of money and years and people are saying it's a good signing. First let's call it like it is, he is not even close to the best player in the game. The most overhyped? Yes. If the Phillies fans are excited cool but this guy hasn't done anything to be considered one of the best players in baseball! He hasn't done a thing to warrant the years and money he's gonna receive but hey it's not my money. In a sport where it truly is a team game, giving this much money to one player, even Trout, isn't gonna get you a ring. It's been proven year after year, time after time, you can't buy a winner.
True, not a guarenteed ring, but definitely a contending team, more so than a week ago. He is one of the top 'faces' of the game and there's a definite interest in him as a player. They'll draw bigger crowds, get better TV/cable deals & exposure. It's a win for Harper and a win for the Phillies. You're correct, in baseball one player does not make the team, but one player can be the missing piece a team needs. I think that the Phillies found that missing piece. But as always, time will tell whether it was a good signing or not. 10 years from now, there might be some regrets ... but on which side will it be? Will the Phillies or Harper be regretting a 13 year contract?
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(02-28-2019, 07:30 PM)flamethrower Wrote: If that Harper loses too much luster lemme know RJ... Smile
I would trade it for a Trout auto I know you have.

Just kidding. Sort of.
(02-28-2019, 09:18 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: This Phillies Phanatic is very Happy. Personally, I think the Phillies got a bargin for an average of $25m per year for the most electric / star in all of baseball. Harper takes the organization from ho hum to "Showtime". I love Mike Trout and think he is the greatest player ever (excluding Babe Ruth), however he just doesn't have that "spark" a lot of our stars in other sports have.

From the collecting perspective, I really haven't / don't care about his National cards. I am a Phillies card collector 1st, set collector second and a semi Trout collector third. (the bat signal has been sent re 2019 Heritage!!!!!). Glad I ordered multiple Phillie Team Topps Now Road to Opening Day sets. 1st Harper Philles cards sb showing up with possible Auto's in a couple of weeks now. Can't forget to get some Topps Now Cards when those are available as well as Living Set cards now that he is on the Phillies (think his card was already issued as a Nat.)

I also take the stance that baseball is entertainment (though I can't think of a world without baseball and the enjoyment that I get) and is no different then movie start making $30m a film. Are our social priorities in terms of money all wrong? That's up the rest of you........
Joe, I actually gave you your own thread to comment on this, but fine, as long as you gave us your thoughts somewhere, LOL

(02-28-2019, 04:44 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I quietly root for the Phillies (I have to pick at least 1 team from every Division). I am okay with it, not excited, as I only have a few Harper cards that are part of complete base or insert sets.
What?! lol. That's at least 4 teams too many. I can almost understand rooting for two teams, more so if they're in separate leagues. But six? That's full blown baseball polygamy. Wink

But I guess I gotta know what those other 4 teams are (aside from Phillies and Twins).
Currently looking for rare Sean Doolittle cards
1992 & 1996 Dream Team autos and relics
Bay Area High School and College star autographs

(03-01-2019, 08:31 PM)cjgiannini Wrote: What?! lol. That's at least 4 teams too many. I can almost understand rooting for two teams, more so if they're in separate leagues. But six? That's full blown baseball polygamy. Wink

But I guess I gotta know what those other 4 teams are (aside from Phillies and Twins).
No worries...Mariners (Griffey PC), Red Sox (they beat up on the Yankees), Dodgers (not sure why except that I hate the other teams), and Reds (reluctantly).

(03-01-2019, 08:55 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: No worries...Mariners (Griffey PC), Red Sox (they beat up on the Yankees), Dodgers (not sure why except that I hate the other teams), and Reds (reluctantly).
Well, now I hate this idea even more. Tongue

(03-01-2019, 08:56 PM)cjgiannini Wrote: Well, now I hate this idea even more. Tongue
Ha! So there are Championships that you actually don't care who wins??! How can that be? A sports fan has to root for a team to win or at least do well, right?

(03-01-2019, 09:11 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Ha! So there are Championships that you actually don't care who wins??! How can that be? A sports fan has to root for a team to win or at least do well, right?
If 'my' team isn't playing in a title game, I usually root for which ever team I 'hate' less. So for baseball the pecking order goes:
1. Whichever team is playing against the Dodgers
2. Other National League teams that aren't the Dodgers.
3. Oakland: The least offensive American League Option
4. Any AL team that aren't the Yankees or Boston
5. The Yankees or Boston
6. A Meteor hits the planet and wipes out civilization
7. The Dodgers

Usually I end up casually rooting for whichever NL team made the WS, but I'm probably not watching as Hockey, Basketball and English Premier League are already up and running and F1 is wrapping up so I have other sporting priorities. Big Grin