`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: What is the most worthless set of all-time?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
1988 Topps
15.91%
7 15.91%
1990 Donruss
22.73%
10 22.73%
1991 Donruss
18.18%
8 18.18%
1991 Fleer
40.91%
18 40.91%
1991 Leaf
2.27%
1 2.27%
Total 44 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most worthless set of all-time

RE: Most worthless set of all-time
1988 Topps will always be one of my favorites because it's the first set I ever collected ... my parents used to buy me one of those 36-pack boxes with 15 cards per pack for $9.99 at the Price Club (ancestor of Costco).

I actually really like the design of that set ... the Mark McGwire "trophy cup" card is one of my favorites.

My dream card is a Mike Trout auto from that set design in an Archives product someday.

I would have to agree with the Triple Play crap ... they're not even like actual cards.

Although, as Doc mentioned, I did once pull a relic card of a game-used bat.

The weird part is, it was just a bat. No player affiliated with the card!

I would show a scan but it was one of the hundreds of thousands of cards that went out in "The Purge of Summer 2018."

1988 Topps was a fun set to collect when it came out. Loved buying the 90 card jumbo packs with the Rookies inserts on the top. I have good memories with that set, even though the set's worthless now.

1990 Donruss had some decent rookies (Walker, Gonzalez, Justice, Olerud) and the variations were fun to collect. Worst part with that set is there were a lot of repackaged wax packs that are still on the card market today.

1991 OPC Premier and 1991 Leaf were pretty high end when they came out. The Leaf set also had the Gold Rookies inserts which have Bagwell and Mussina rookies. Still laugh about the little fish "investors" spending $8 a pack when the OPC came out.

1991 Donruss was pretty bad, but I pulled an Elite Canseco that year, which was a huge positive memory. Also liked the blue/green color for series 1 and 2. Out of habit, I still put the Phil Plantier rookies in the star box sometimes.

1991 Fleer was a disaster. The Pro Vision inserts were cool, but the rest of the set was just ugly yellow. Nobody liked them when they came out and no one likes them now. The only card that ever did anything positive was Luis Gonzalez. Still, it was way better than the 1991 Fleer football set.
[Image: amazontmsc.jpg]

All of these sets are pretty bad value wise. But all of these sets were were a huge part of my childhood, and many of the reasons I got into collecting. I know a lot of people hate the designs, especially the 91 Fleer, which I voted for, but I love the design. (The pro visions insert set was the first set I put together.) That's what the early 90s were all about. All these cards bring back so many memories, and I love the designs of all of them. I still have all the ones from when I was a kid, and still pick up boxes or packs when I can. And also, as for the above post, I also love 91 Fleer football set as well. Probably one of my favorite football designs.
Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283

(09-08-2018, 06:45 PM)hempick Wrote: To me it is 1989 Topps. Everything about that set is craptastic.
haha, this for sure! I voted 91 Donruss, I bought so many packs of that when I was a kid hoping to hit that Sandberg Auto. Did pull a Brett Elite which was pretty cool as a kid riding my BMX to the corner store wasting my allowance $. good times
Desert racing baseball card collector? Yeah, that's not weird...

(09-11-2018, 11:00 AM)flamethrower Wrote: haha, this for sure! I voted 91 Donruss, I bought so many packs of that when I was a kid hoping to hit that Sandberg Auto. Did pull a Brett Elite which was pretty cool as a kid riding my BMX to the corner store wasting my allowance $. good times
I got like six boxes of 1989 Topps that year for Christmas. I asked my dad why so many boxes and he said that every time he went to Price Club he would grab one for me and stash it away for Christmas, and he forgot how many he bought that year, LOL.

I must have had a dozen Sandy Alomar and Gary Sheffield RCs, although the Gregg Jefferies Future Star card from that set is one of my favorite of all time.

(09-11-2018, 11:00 AM)flamethrower Wrote: haha, this for sure! I voted 91 Donruss, I bought so many packs of that when I was a kid hoping to hit that Sandberg Auto. Did pull a Brett Elite which was pretty cool as a kid riding my BMX to the corner store wasting my allowance $. good times
The Elite cards are a tough pull and Brett is probably the best card from that set, other than the Sandberg auto or Ryan Legends. I busted an entire case of 1991 Donruss about 6 months again and didn't pull one single Elite insert. I figured I'd get Doug Drabek at least! Tongue
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

(09-11-2018, 06:49 PM)jack pfiester Wrote: The Elite cards are a tough pull and Brett is probably the best card from that set, other than the Sandberg auto or Ryan Legends. I busted an entire case of 1991 Donruss about 6 months again and didn't pull one single Elite insert. I figured I'd get Doug Drabek at least! Tongue
Now I'm looking at the bay and contemplating building the set cause of this stupid thread... haha. The sickness is real!
Desert racing baseball card collector? Yeah, that's not weird...

(09-11-2018, 09:41 PM)flamethrower Wrote: Now I'm looking at the bay and contemplating building the set cause of this stupid thread... haha. The sickness is real!
The 1991 Elite Series set? They are awesome looking cards and the first ever serial numbered inserts!

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

(09-11-2018, 10:59 PM)jack pfiester Wrote: The 1991 Elite Series set? They are awesome looking cards and the first ever serial numbered inserts!
https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/up...ard-craze/

[Image: JacksonSigned.jpg]
[Image: sades.jpg]
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v520/mnbamboozled/grif
feys/]My Griffeys[/url]

(09-12-2018, 02:55 AM)magicpapa Wrote: https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/up...ard-craze/

[Image: JacksonSigned.jpg]
"Production was limited to a maximum of 10,000 serial-numbered cards for each card in the Elite series, and lesser production for the Sandberg Signature (5,000) and Ryan Legend (7,500) cards. This was the first time that mainstream insert cards were ever serial numbered allowing for verifiable proof of print runs."

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars