`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Is this BCCG a fake? 1984-1985 Star Jordan #101

RE: Is this BCCG a fake? 1984-1985 Star Jordan #101
That's awesome. I'll keep an eye on your other thread to hear back on the results of the grading.

The asking price here was $800, which was in the "too good to be true" zone, but yet high enough to make me second guess whether the seller was perhaps just desperate/misinformed.

I have the Fleer rookie (BGS 8.5). I guess I'll just have to wait for a better opportunity on the Star.

(04-13-2015, 01:48 PM)ACarroll987 Wrote: That's awesome. I'll keep an eye on your other thread to hear back on the results of the grading.

The asking price here was $800, which was in the "too good to be true" zone, but yet high enough to make me second guess whether the seller was perhaps just desperate/misinformed.

I have the Fleer rookie (BGS 8.5). I guess I'll just have to wait for a better opportunity on the Star.
Yeah, the $300 I bought mine for obviously would set off some red flags as well, but it was just one of those once-in-a-lifetime / I just hit the lottery type situations.

I'm certainly anxious to see how it comes back along with the 1981 Topps Joe Montana rookie and 1979-80 Topps Wayne Gretzky rookie I submitted along with it.

That fake holder is better than some I've seen. There was one on ebay that was just a screwdown holder with a sticker on it!

(04-13-2015, 01:37 AM)NateNichols Wrote: The other question I would ask is why would someone BCCG THAT card? Anyone who knows anything about that card would have had it BGS'd. That alone sends up a red flag to me.
The first reason to get it BCCG'd is to authenticate the card at a low investment compared to BGS or anyone else. The second reason is to have the artificially high number grade attached to it.

This looks like someone had a real one graded by BCCG, cracked the flimsy case, removed the slip, and inserted it with a probable fake into another company's holder or their own blank slab. They then took the now authenticated real one, confident it would grade, and submitted it.

It should also be noted before outing the current seller that they may have been duped themselves and honestly don't know it.

(04-18-2015, 12:00 AM)pacrimcollectibles Wrote: This looks like someone had a real one graded by BCCG, cracked the flimsy case, removed the slip, and inserted it with a probable fake into another company's holder or their own blank slab. They then took the now authenticated real one, confident it would grade, and submitted it.
I would think that that the experts at Beckett/BGS/BCCG would know their Star stuff. Based on Beckett's track record as they have done a fantastic job overall, this looks like a switcheroo by an unscrupulous sc*mbag.

The holder is most likely real, but the card is 10000% FAKE. And one of the obvious ones at that.

(04-18-2015, 12:00 AM)pacrimcollectibles Wrote: The first reason to get it BCCG'd is to authenticate the card at a low investment compared to BGS or anyone else. The second reason is to have the artificially high number grade attached to it.

This looks like someone had a real one graded by BCCG, cracked the flimsy case, removed the slip, and inserted it with a probable fake into another company's holder or their own blank slab. They then took the now authenticated real one, confident it would grade, and submitted it.

It should also be noted before outing the current seller that they may have been duped themselves and honestly don't know it.
Please tell me you were either drunk or high when you posted this.

NOBODY who has this card is going to skimp out on paying a few more bucks to have the card slabbed as BGS with a grade or at a minimum as "Authentic." That just defies any sort of logic one can come up with. You're telling me someone can afford a card that goes for $1,500 to $10,000, but can't come up with $12 to get it graded? GTFO.

It's relatively easy to spot a fake of this card if you see it in-person. There are plenty of things to look for that are easy to spot once you know what they are.

As for having an artificially high grade, that makes no sense either given my first point. If you're wanting to get this thing graded and in a sell-able form, you're going to BGS the card. Nobody who's serious about buying that card is going to believe it's a 10 PRISTINE card. Again, GTFO.

It looks just like what it is - someone is trying to pass a fake card as being real so they can steal someone's money.

(04-18-2015, 12:00 AM)pacrimcollectibles Wrote: The first reason to get it BCCG'd is to authenticate the card at a low investment compared to BGS or anyone else. The second reason is to have the artificially high number grade attached to it.

(04-18-2015, 02:10 AM)NateNichols Wrote: Please tell me you were either drunk or high when you posted this. .... GTFO.
I know it's Friday late night and lord knows where I've been but let's try to remain civil here. I get your point but I also get pacrimcollectibles point as well.

(04-18-2015, 02:10 AM)NateNichols Wrote: NOBODY who has this card is going to skimp out on paying a few more bucks to have the card slabbed as BGS with a grade or at a minimum as "Authentic." That just defies any sort of logic one can come up with. You're telling me someone can afford a card that goes for $1,500 to $10,000, but can't come up with $12 to get it graded? GTFO.
Saying NOBODY and defying logic is inaccurate. Keep in mind that people have submitted authentic 101s to BCCG in the past simply to get the higher "number" on the holder especially years back when the card was worth less and many people still were not familiar with BCCG's over-grading and only cared about the "number" on the flip. Here is an example of one that was sold by PWCC a couple of years ago:

http://host.jwcinc.net/712533/brent/2013_6/63_3_4.jpg

The PWCC specimen in the above link is 100% real but obviously way overgraded by BCCG.

As I proposed earlier, my theory is partially along the line of pacrimcollectibles' thinking. However, I believe it is more or less that someone took a "real" 101 graded by BCCG, crack it out and swapped it with the offered FAKE.

One thing we can all agree on, the said card in question is a total FAKE.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/154529830939597896/

That makes at least three of this card graded by BCCG, meaning somebody has done it. Look closely to the upper left and you'll see what I mean by inflated grade.

I could cite an article on another website from last July regarding a Star Jordan BCCG'd and swapped out of holder and card but it's hard to tell from the picture if the serial number of that one matches the one in discussion here.

As for what nobody would do, would anybody Beckett Raw Card Review a 1952 Mantle? At The National? The answer is yes: http://www.beckett.com/news/2014/08/2014...more-76762

If someone would do that they'll do anything to save a buck to make one.

(04-18-2015, 08:15 AM)pacrimcollectibles Wrote: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/154529830939597896/

That makes at least three of this card graded by BCCG, meaning somebody has done it. Look closely to the upper left and you'll see what I mean by inflated grade.

I could cite an article on another website from last July regarding a Star Jordan BCCG'd and swapped out of holder and card but it's hard to tell from the picture if the serial number of that one matches the one in discussion here.

As for what nobody would do, would anybody Beckett Raw Card Review a 1952 Mantle? At The National? The answer is yes: http://www.beckett.com/news/2014/08/2014...more-76762

If someone would do that they'll do anything to save a buck to make one.
To me that is incredibly stupid. As Ron White eloquently put it one time - "You can't fix stupid."

There is no way I'm skimping out or taking chances with that kind of a card.

(04-18-2015, 03:22 PM)NateNichols Wrote: To me that is incredibly stupid. As Ron White eloquently put it one time - "You can't fix stupid."

There is no way I'm skimping out or taking chances with that kind of a card.
I'm with you, but that is not the point.

If all species operated in a logical manner, we would not have evolution or social classes.