`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think is the biggest product bomb?

RE: What do you think is the biggest product bomb?
I consider 2007 Bowman to be a bomb. I did a quick search on Ebay and it looks like the average selling price for a 24 pack hobby box is around $40 (including shipping).
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

New leader in my mind is 2012 SP Signature Baseball. I've been in a few box breaks and seen even more and literally everything in there that I've seen pulled is pure garbage. I wont be buying anymore of it

(07-12-2013, 07:13 AM)phillies816 Wrote: New leader in my mind is 2012 SP Signature Baseball. I've been in a few box breaks and seen even more and literally everything in there that I've seen pulled is pure garbage. I wont be buying anymore of it
I don't know, but someone just opened a box and got a quad of The Yankees and a couple of months ago, I picked up a box on clearance and got this ....
[Image: 6A8DED3F-561B-4E5E-B623-D4FDFE313C38-130...860569.jpg]
I was happy.
If I paid full price when it was released, I'd have been miserable. As far as card design goes, it's blah. As far as an unlicensed auto set goes, there's some nice cards to get. I also got this triple auto from the same box. The single autos along side .. Ehhhh!
[Image: 5D8FE98A-6D24-41A8-B18F-023456949089-996...7e456a.jpg]
Not the biggest bomb, IMO. I still vote for National Chicle ... Yuccch!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

For me the worst has to be Archives from this year. There is a reason why the 80's cards are so cheap, why make a modern set to remind us why they suck so much. Plus the "Fan Favorite" autographs are anything but fan favorites. They have a few guys that people will say "I remember that guy" but no one is running out to buy their autographs for more than a couple bucks.

As far as too many similar products being released a year, Topps may have an obligation to put out so many products a year. It could be in their contract with MLB.

(07-12-2013, 07:34 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: I don't know, but someone just opened a box and got a quad of The Yankees and a couple of months ago, I picked up a box on clearance and got this ....
[Image: 6A8DED3F-561B-4E5E-B623-D4FDFE313C38-130...860569.jpg]
I was happy.
If I paid full price when it was released, I'd have been miserable. As far as card design goes, it's blah. As far as an unlicensed auto set goes, there's some nice cards to get. I also got this triple auto from the same box. The single autos along side .. Ehhhh!
[Image: 5D8FE98A-6D24-41A8-B18F-023456949089-996...7e456a.jpg]
Not the biggest bomb, IMO. I still vote for National Chicle ... Yuccch!
Chicle was hideous. Nice pulls on SP Sig. I know the hits are out there but I would say 99% of what I have seen is complete garbage. I got a triple auto of 3 Brewers I have never even heard of. The single player sigs are even worse

I had bought a box of the SP I wasn't to thrilled about it really

The SP Signature cards are awful. They don't have images, no MLB logos, nothing. They're basically just an autograph on a piece of paper to me.

They look terrible.

As far as the Archives comment, I think some of those autographs are in pretty decent command. Heck, that is the first and only certified autographs of some of those guys, and they may never have another one again. I love the looks of those.

(07-12-2013, 09:12 AM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: As far as the Archives comment, I think some of those autographs are in pretty decent command. Heck, that is the first and only certified autographs of some of those guys, and they may never have another one again. I love the looks of those.
Agree with this comment. Are they going to appeal to everyone? No. However for team and player collectors especially this is something great for them. Set builders of course will go ahead and pick it up as well. Hell, I LIKE seeing autos like this. How many more autos do we really need of the same guys over and over again?

(07-12-2013, 09:28 AM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Agree with this comment. Are they going to appeal to everyone? No. However for team and player collectors especially this is something great for them. Set builders of course will go ahead and pick it up as well. Hell, I LIKE seeing autos like this. How many more autos do we really need of the same guys over and over again?
I totally get where you guys are coming from. I had a few guys that I liked seeing autographs of, but I feel that the box is a little overpriced for what you get out of it. Some of these guys may only have this one certified auto card but that doesn't mean the value will be there. I can definitely see why people would like this product, I just don't think its for me. That's the beauty of our hobby, there is something for everyone to collect.

(07-12-2013, 09:10 AM)phillies816 Wrote: Chicle was hideous. Nice pulls on SP Sig. I know the hits are out there but I would say 99% of what I have seen is complete garbage. I got a triple auto of 3 Brewers I have never even heard of. The single player sigs are even worse
Yeah, I guess if I didn't get lucky, I'd be right there with you. I was actually psyched about these cards until Chris Olds did a boxbuster vid and I didn't bother with them until they were on clearance and I was bored Smile
They are just sticker sigs on cardboard w/o logos, but I still like them better than the horrendous artwork of National Chicle.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.