`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help Identifying Gordie Howe Card

RE: Need Help Identifying Gordie Howe Card
(09-09-2012, 08:55 PM)Jumanji Wrote: Yeah but that's what we've been trying to do for a few years now and have found nothing on this card anywhere. I just did a search through ebay's completed listings and can't find any cards even close to this. There are cards from the same series, but they aren't /9.
Test the waters, throw it up there with a BIN of $1000 OBO and see what offers you get... I do that with cards I dont really want to sell but want to see what people will pay for them... If they entice me with a great offer, sometimes I hit the accept button.
[Image: hitmanbanner2.jpg]
Check us out for PC cards, cards for trade & cards for sale

(09-10-2012, 01:48 AM)irbecards32 Wrote: Test the waters, throw it up there with a BIN of $1000 OBO and see what offers you get... I do that with cards I dont really want to sell but want to see what people will pay for them... If they entice me with a great offer, sometimes I hit the accept button.
I actually just found this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WAYNE-GRETZKY-02...20c48735cc

It's a Gretzky from the same series and it's /9 too. This guy's got his listed at $900 OBO. I'm guessing Howe is worth a bit less than him? I don't know how these guys compare.

(09-10-2012, 05:24 PM)Jumanji Wrote: I actually just found this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WAYNE-GRETZKY-02...20c48735cc

It's a Gretzky from the same series and it's /9 too. This guy's got his listed at $900 OBO. I'm guessing Howe is worth a bit less than him? I don't know how these guys compare.
Depends what collector is looking for what. A big spending Howe guy might need your card, where as the big spending Gretz guys may already have it... Look at the money ey & Bruce dump on Irbes, but yet we wouldnt think about spending the amount we spend on a rare Irbes on say an Ovechkin that other guys would go nuts over...

Like I said, just test it & throw it up for $1000 OBO... You dont have to pay for anything cept maybe .25-.50c for the listing. The listing might even be free right now. Its a no lose situation... And someone might just hit the BIN and you made yourself $1000, after all, Jeremy Lin cards sold for $25,000 so stranger things have happened haha

(09-10-2012, 11:02 PM)irbecards32 Wrote: Depends what collector is looking for what. A big spending Howe guy might need your card, where as the big spending Gretz guys may already have it... Look at the money ey & Bruce dump on Irbes, but yet we wouldnt think about spending the amount we spend on a rare Irbes on say an Ovechkin that other guys would go nuts over...

Like I said, just test it & throw it up for $1000 OBO... You dont have to pay for anything cept maybe .25-.50c for the listing. The listing might even be free right now. Its a no lose situation... And someone might just hit the BIN and you made yourself $1000, after all, Jeremy Lin cards sold for $25,000 so stranger things have happened haha
+100000 on this! All it takes is the right guy(s) to come along to buy a card. That is why these "blah, blah, blah, of this player goes for $$$ on Ebay" people annoy me. All it takes is the right buyer.

I remember a time when people thought I was crazy for asking $200 for a Brian Skrudland 1/1 card. I popped it on eBay and it sold within two days at $200, so the moral of the story is, go with your gut, put the highest price you'd want for it as a "buy it now or best offer", and the worst that can happen if nobody buys it is that you are stuck with a beautiful rare card of one of the NHL's all-time greatest players. Win-win!

(09-10-2012, 11:20 PM)irbefan4life Wrote: +100000 on this! All it takes is the right guy(s) to come along to buy a card. That is why these "blah, blah, blah, of this player goes for $$$ on Ebay" people annoy me. All it takes is the right buyer.

I remember a time when people thought I was crazy for asking $200 for a Brian Skrudland 1/1 card. I popped it on eBay and it sold within two days at $200, so the moral of the story is, go with your gut, put the highest price you'd want for it as a "buy it now or best offer", and the worst that can happen if nobody buys it is that you are stuck with a beautiful rare card of one of the NHL's all-time greatest players. Win-win!
Exactly... That was the same with my Crown Royal Ovechkin Black 1/1 that everyone said wasnt really worth much and youd be lucky to get $200-$300 for it (and thats what people were offering). Plopped it on the bay for BIN of $799, sold it the next day for like $570 or something in that area... An Ovechkin Prime /6 was broke on an early release of Prime and put on ebay for $999 and sold a few hours later. And that was from a case that people said was a garbage case (It also had a Prime Ties 1/1)... A lot of Ovechkin guys may not touch that price with their enemys wallet, but one guy sure did and all it takes is one...

PS. Im still waiting for Bruce to hit the BIN button on my Irbe 1/1 I have listed haha ive even dropped the price for ya man!! I think I have it at $250...

These sound like pretty legit suggestions. I think I'm going to go ahead and list it sometime in the next few days actually. One other question I had is should I get the card graded? I've seen a ton of cards graded up for sale and I was wondering if that's something I should do or not. The cards in great shape as my dad always took care of his cards and put them in protective sleeves right out of the packs, but I've never really dealt with a card nearly as rare as this before.

(09-11-2012, 04:40 AM)Jumanji Wrote: These sound like pretty legit suggestions. I think I'm going to go ahead and list it sometime in the next few days actually. One other question I had is should I get the card graded? I've seen a ton of cards graded up for sale and I was wondering if that's something I should do or not. The cards in great shape as my dad always took care of his cards and put them in protective sleeves right out of the packs, but I've never really dealt with a card nearly as rare as this before.
I dont grade cards or buy graded cards... To me its a waste of money. Why would I buy a card someone jacked the price up on cause its graded, when I can buy a card thats equally as nice for cheaper? Alot of people dont like graded cards cause its a pain in the arse to store them also

(09-10-2012, 11:31 PM)irbecards32 Wrote: Exactly... That was the same with my Crown Royal Ovechkin Black 1/1 that everyone said wasnt really worth much and youd be lucky to get $200-$300 for it (and thats what people were offering). Plopped it on the bay for BIN of $799, sold it the next day for like $570 or something in that area... An Ovechkin Prime /6 was broke on an early release of Prime and put on ebay for $999 and sold a few hours later. And that was from a case that people said was a garbage case (It also had a Prime Ties 1/1)... A lot of Ovechkin guys may not touch that price with their enemys wallet, but one guy sure did and all it takes is one...

PS. Im still waiting for Bruce to hit the BIN button on my Irbe 1/1 I have listed haha ive even dropped the price for ya man!! I think I have it at $250...
Smile

And IrbeCards32 is right, don't grade that card. Because it is #/9, it is scarce enough as it is and does not need a third party to give a number on it. If you have an old rookie card, or really any notable rookie card, then grading doesn't hurt...in many cases grading actually improves the sale price. In the case of just about anything else modern era, grading is a waste of money and can hurt your cause if the grade falls at a 9.0 or under.

Good luck with your sale. Orr is another that is super short printed from that set. I've seen sales of it and they were all over the map. Also the rc's in the set were crazy tough pulls too. If you find a big Howe collector that needs it I think you'll get offer in the $400 range. My gut though is you'll get offers in the $150-250 range.
[Image: NewSig.jpg]
I feel so lonely now Sad

Bucket Link

How old is your dad that his "old" collection contains cards from the year I quit collecting? Im only 33!
PC: Kovy-Hasek-Bure-Sanford-Low

Trading for:
00-01 SC Beam Team
01-02 YoungStars Gold
Tradelist
Photobucket