IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What card started it all?

RE: What card started it all?
Hard to remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was this card:

[Image: img641-1.jpg]

In 1988 one of my junior high buddies worked at a LCS in our town and said they needed someone to sort through a large collection of comic books they just bought - would I want to do it and get paid something like $4/hour? Well, being 14 and not having any other income source at the time I said sure. That got me in the door. When they discovered how big a football fan I was I sort of transitioned to the card area. Anyway, at some point they had a case of 1981 Topps football. And I bought a box for like $30 or something. Put the set together and I've had this card ever since. Just had it graded a few months ago.

So this is what probably got me in the hobby, but I was hooked for good when Score was released in 1989. Still one of my favorite sets of all time.

I think my first two major purchases were a 1984 USFL set (because I HAD TO HAVE the Herschel Walker) for $75 and a 1981 Topps rack pack with the Montana showing on top for $50. Still have them both. Big Grin
[Image: UWashBanner2.jpg]
Banner by mattfastiggi
Collecting: Brett Favre (7,771 unique as of 6/1/2015), Packers, UW Huskies (Shaq Thompson, Shelton, Peters, Kikaha, Sankey, ASJ, Trufant, Locker, Brunell, Dillon, etc.)