`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What card started it all?

RE: What card started it all?
I always wanted a Steve Young USFL rookie card, but I couldn't afford cards like that back then... I may grab one eventually... I remember pulling a Rice rookie, and I was so happy... Wish I would have kept it...Wink

That Heyward is purtty.
Collecting: Steve Smith (Panthers), Deangelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Luke Kuechly, Andruw Jones, and Brian McCann
[Image: retGN.png]

This is where my T Jax obsession started

[Image: 113of209001.jpg]
[Image: 4E727BD9-orig.jpg]

Tyson Jackson
Total Cards - 469/638 - 74 %
Autos - 164/249 - 66 %
Mems - 221/280 - 79 %
RC - 38/38 - 100 %
1/1s - 21
Total Tyson Jackson Cards Including Dupes 641

(08-26-2012, 10:35 PM)biglump007 Wrote: This is where my T Jax obsession started

[Image: 113of209001.jpg]
Dude, that card is sick!

[quote='mcleodfive' pid='2105516' dateline='1346027459']
Card that got me into collecting was a George Brett rc. Card that got me into Heyward as my focus was this
[Image: bb6b49d9.jpg]

oh lordy.......
Rolleyes
Well....collecting my bears and Garrett Wolfe is more of an Sickness than an obsession really...lol
Smile
BUT....THIS is the card that got me hooked on my FotG sets..(on a 3rd set now..lol)
this was the 3rd or 4th i picked up from the set and i was in LOVE when Barry arrived that november day in 2007....up to 129/134 now..oy.
20/25
Wink
[Image: 007-1.jpg]
2007 FotG NFL Prime 130/133
2009 FotG NFL Prime 66/90
2010 FotG NFL Prime 103/103
DONE
http://s877.photobucket.com/user/sto66/l...ECUT%20SET
2011 Playbook Prime 68/95

This is the card that really got me hooked on collecting (though I had somewhat of an interest prior).. Will always be one of my favorite cards!
[Image: mjud.jpg]

Traded for this one (my first Taylor) with my cousin back in 98 and fell in love with his playing style, fast and furious with finesse.. My pc's grown a bit since..
[Image: 1998%20upper%20deck.jpg]

Being a die hard hog fan 2008 was crazy for me
[Image: IMG_0018-1.jpg]

The craz for a dmac Jones dual auto brought me into a new level of collecting

But the two cards that started it all for me were the two on the top row, when I was very young my dad gave them to me, they sit dead center in my pc to this day
[Image: IMG_0006-1.jpg]

[Image: p18mannbanner.gif]

This is what started my obsession back in 1990. I had pulled this back in the day (1980) from a pack sold at the local grocery store. when I took my box of mainly baseball cards into the lcs to have *assessed*, he pulled this out, laughed, and promptly gave me $100 for it.
[Image: AGA-158.jpg]
[Image: AllthingsOregon2copy.jpg]

Favre Score In the Zone

This did it for me on Favre. My first really good insert of any kind.
[Image: Gdgj0.png]

PhotoBucket

Top 5 Auto Needs
1. Elijah Pitts
2. Oscar Robertson "Big O"
3. Giannis Antetokounmpo "GA34"
4. Aaron Rodgers "A12R"
5. Aaron Rodgers "A8R"

I gave birth to many cards back in 1976-80 by busting 25-cent packs from the candy store after school. I don't know if I had the full set, but I did have a LOT. Some designs were different but I didn't understand why at the time. (It was because each year Topps had changed the design. DUH me.) But the 1977 Topps baseball will always stick out with me.

[Image: 1977Guidry.jpg][Image: 1977Fidrych.jpg]

These were the only two left since I just happened to stash them away between a book (Childcraft Encyclopedias) and forgot about them. The shoebox population was "sent away". These guys below have been with me since I re-found them back in 1986 while doing spring cleaning in one of the main hallway closets.

I really didn't get back into collecting until December 1991. My friend collected for a while. He's a bandwagoneer. He started collecting in the late-1980's. He collected the 49ers and the Bulls. He mostly stuck with basketball at that time. He didn't like football because defense and offensive linemen took up a lot of space in place of the skill positions. That didn't deter me. I love football. The next card was my first "big" purchase ($20) back in the fall of 1992. All I knew was that this RB floated first and then accelerated once he found a hole. Just beautiful to watch.

[Image: 1991EmmittST.jpg]

Twenty bucks for a piece of cardboard?????? But hey, I was happy. I was exhilirated and anxious at the same time, wondering if I had made a mistake and would experience buyer's remorse soon after. I did not. I liked the guy and I had his RC. It was the best card to buy. I was still a Bengals fan, but their cards were cheap and easily available. I could get them anytime. My collector friend got me into thing about cardboard goldmine. That got me into the wrong mentality. I once wanted to buy a complete set 1992 Bowman baseball. It was selling for $35 at the time. My friend said "it's Bowman, it sucks, it will never go up." But my gut was telling me it was a steal even if it never goes up because I would be getting 700+ cards for only $35. That would be about a nickel per card. It was right there in front of me and I didn't pull the trigger because "it would not go up in value." Why did I ever ask him????? A few months later that set shot up to $700. Right there I swore I would never listen to anyone again. Especially him. If I liked something, I would get it no matter what future potential it had.

In the spring of 1993, a little over a year in collecting, my dad said he had something he kept for a while and wondered if it's worth anything. I asked what it was. He went into his drawer and pulled out an old wallet. He said he found it on the floor of the elevator back in 1977. He saw it was a ticket, and wondered if it was still good. But he didn't pay too much attention because he was rushing home to catch the baseball game. It was a Yankees ticket. World Series. 1977. Nah, it couldn't be..... Game 6. The one where Regiie hit 3 HRs with one swing each. Later that year, Reggie would be in town at the Hilton to sign. Well, I only had one thing to do......

[Image: 1977ws6-auto-RJ-A.jpg]

So I did it.

In addition to Bengals cards, I collect these also:

[Image: BlackSpeck.jpg]

Unclear future potential (most likely none), but I like them nonetheless.