`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
auto balls - discoloring!?!?!

auto balls - discoloring!?!?!

So I went to check some of the auto balls I have stored in a closet - the ones I don't care much about and don't display.

Several (most) are turning yellow(ish).

Why? Can I do anything to stop it? The ones in my office on the shelf don't SEEM to be doing it - although I haven't pulled them down to look closely!

I've seen Ruth balls and most seem yellowish. Is this unavoidable?

They are all stored in cubes and in a dark (basically heated and ac'd) closet.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!
Collecting HOF Vint-Rooks-GU-autos + Musial and other Cardinals

Bucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd387/SchlueterLaw/

[Image: MusialCollageSmall.jpg]

RE: auto balls - discoloring!?!?!
I've got a Mlb ball signed by Griffey Jr back in 1987 when he was with Bellingham. It's been stored in a cube and off and on in a dark place (that's where it is now). It has the yellowish discoloration also but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse and hope it doesn't.

I noticed this with a couple of mine after pulling them out of storage a few months back. Looking at the placement and size of the "spots", I almost wonder if it is from the oils on the skin of whoever touched the ball affecting it. That's the best I could come up with though.

I do have a Roger Clemens UDA ball from years back and it was noted on there that the ball itself was treated with something to give it the "aged" look as time wore on. It actually looks pretty good IMO.

it could also be the ink/pen that was used. I think a blue ink pen is best i read somewhere.
So far keeping it in a UV box and away from sunlight and humidity is best.
Other than that, it has to be oils already on the ball.
Collecting ROOKIE CARDS 40-60's, 25 Gehrig, fancraze-wagner

Are they official major league balls or an off brand?

I think they are NL or AL official balls. They are about 25-30 years old now.
The ones in a lit up room seem to be LESS discolored - but they are not as old either!

Someone has to now the answer to this!?
Collecting HOF Vint-Rooks-GU-autos + Musial and other Cardinals

Bucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd387/SchlueterLaw/

[Image: MusialCollageSmall.jpg]

(08-18-2012, 06:25 PM)pawpawdiv9 Wrote: it could also be the ink/pen that was used. I think a blue ink pen is best i read somewhere.
So far keeping it in a UV box and away from sunlight and humidity is best.
Other than that, it has to be oils already on the ball.

You definitely want a sharpie or something. I think ball point pens are particularly affected by UV light or something, because they seem to fade easily.

If it's yellow spots, then it's oils from the players skin for sure. If it's all over yellow, then the ball has been exposed to humidity/temp changes, etc. A ball cube can help with that.
Pen vs. Sharpie - First rule is AVOID BLUE SHARPIE ON WHITE LEATHER. After about 2 years or so, the sharpie will fade into the leather. I won an auto team football many years ago with the sigs on white panel. I was bummed then because I knew what yould happen. The sigs are alomst indecipherable now. I would actually stick with black ink. I have many auto'd balls signed in black ink that are almost 15 years old now, no fading at all. Just be sure to kkep them out of the sun.
[Image: banner.png] [Image: wieters-1.png]
Collecting Orioles, Ravens, and Topps Baseball sets 57, (Finally finished 58!), 67, and 69 (need only 2!). Also, MLB HOF Autos.