Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my dilemma card help

RE: my delima card help
DO NOT RIP!!!

Wayne, I know how difficult that must be! I would be SOOOOO tempted to do it.
BUT... if I pulled a Cardinals RIP card, I would have a very hard time destroying an STL card just for the slight possibility of pulling something better from it.
However, if I pulled a non-STL RIP card, I would probably bust that open before I had time to post the pull on here! Big Grin

This is the former English TA in me coming out, but could you have gotten the word in the title of this post any more wrong, Wayne?

D I L E M M A

I collect Cole Hamels and have been thinking about buying one of those rip cards on Ebay but have zero intention of opening it if I do get one because of what it will do to the Hamels card itself. Just one man's opinion but that's what I would do

(07-28-2012, 11:57 PM)waynetalger Wrote: Thanks CBF
It could be an exclusive mini paralell, 1/1 mini wood, red mini auto,1/1 sketch card, or a rip card reserve. Got a bright light on it right now trying to dee if it maybe worth opening but everything I am trying is failing here. LOL
Photobuckett is not working for me right now so I can show a scan
From what I understood the rarer stuff is in at least usually the lower #'ed ones at least that is what I have read but I very easily could be wrong

I know we opened one to 99 before that Jess and I pulled and we simply got a EXT card that was not worth much at all
My Bucket - w/ PC & Up For Sale Scans (NOT BACK UP TO DATE YET)

Heres my 2 cents Mr. Wayne....when we as card collectors look to buy cards for our pc's we want to find "mint" cards. We send cards to get graded in hopes of getting that "10" grade! We examine cards in person, checking them over carefully, corners, edges, centering etc. Now here comes these damn ripcards...I've got 2 from '11 Ginter one /10 & one /99. Oh its tempting to rip them suckers but what happens to that original card after you rip it? Even with a razor blade, its not that "mint" pc card we strive for anymore. Now if your cool with that, rip it my friend but as for myself, I'll keep mine in as near mint condition as possible!!

Matt
[Image: 3x75s.png]
a big shout out to jbel4331 for the AWESOME '75 cards!!
PC:TRIBUTE & HERITAGE & CHROME.GRADED '75 TOPPS & VINTAGE

(07-29-2012, 12:21 AM)beatles guy Wrote: I hate gimmicks like this, one of the many reasons I got out of modern. One day we will look back and see how stupid this was, like cards in a can Smile
I agree looking back this would have been stupid

(07-29-2012, 12:21 AM)elberson Wrote: Just rip it............take a shot with a razor
Looks like the the votes are not to rip

(07-29-2012, 01:50 AM)krn001 Wrote: Not being familiar i quickly read up on them. Apparently the inner card has something to shield it from seeing it w/out ripping it. Don't know what i would do. If theres a BV on the current card whats the odds of pulling an equal or greater value card? Some will say to leave it & others may suggest ripping it.

Thank you for ypur thoughts. I will have to agree and not to rip I have tried everything but an x-ray machine or superman
(07-29-2012, 02:18 AM)spazmatastic Wrote: DO NOT RIP!!!

Wayne, I know how difficult that must be! I would be SOOOOO tempted to do it.
BUT... if I pulled a Cardinals RIP card, I would have a very hard time destroying an STL card just for the slight possibility of pulling something better from it.
However, if I pulled a non-STL RIP card, I would probably bust that open before I had time to post the pull on here! Big Grin
And I would also feel your pain. Thank you for your advise
(07-29-2012, 02:45 AM)bigguy219 Wrote: This is the former English TA in me coming out, but could you have gotten the word in the title of this post any more wrong, Wayne?

D I L E M M A
I need spell check on this site so you can quit picking at me. LOL but I do see you know what I meant. I did fix it just for you. LOL

(07-29-2012, 07:34 AM)the cardboard fan Wrote: From what I understood the rarer stuff is in at least usually the lower #'ed ones at least that is what I have read but I very easily could be wrong

I know we opened one to 99 before that Jess and I pulled and we simply got a EXT card that was not worth much at all
wow I guess with that I will keep the card intact

(07-29-2012, 09:01 AM)75toppsfan Wrote: Heres my 2 cents Mr. Wayne....when we as card collectors look to buy cards for our pc's we want to find "mint" cards. We send cards to get graded in hopes of getting that "10" grade! We examine cards in person, checking them over carefully, corners, edges, centering etc. Now here comes these damn ripcards...I've got 2 from '11 Ginter one /10 & one /99. Oh its tempting to rip them suckers but what happens to that original card after you rip it? Even with a razor blade, its not that "mint" pc card we strive for anymore. Now if your cool with that, rip it my friend but as for myself, I'll keep mine in as near mint condition as possible!!

Matt
Thanks for your thoughts. I have to agree with you the card will stay intact

[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

RE: my dilemma card help
I ripped an ortiz and it opened pretty cleanly. Only the back tears. -I'd open it. Especially if it's going to be a PC card. Heck, I even traded the ripped Ortiz.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Get it x-rayed.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(07-29-2012, 03:31 PM)zeprock Wrote: Get it x-rayed.
I guarantee the cost of the x-ray would be exponentially greater than anything that could possibly be in there.

(07-29-2012, 03:33 PM)bigguy219 Wrote: I guarantee the cost of the x-ray would be exponentially greater than anything that could possibly be in there.
Yeah. You need a friend who works in a dental office or physicians office.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html