Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it me or is this crazy/ridiculous and un-ethical

Is it me or is this crazy/ridiculous and un-ethical
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Mickey-Mant...231e57cae4

I am not an expert on auctions so I try not to post about them. That said if this is what I think it is, I have never seen a scam like this before:

From the looks of it the seller has "created his own HOT PACKS" made up of opened items from his collection. He says to Mantle cards were placed in the auction and there is a chance somebody will pull them?

How could he not know where the Mantle's are?
Anybody that could help clarify this for me as it seems to be a con. Seller only has 19 feedback?
Thanks
Collecting Vintage football and all things Mickey Mantle.
[Image: th_598ff54f.jpg]

RE: Is it me or is this crazy/ridiculous and in-ethical
ive seen this a bunch of times... only way to know if seller is legit is check old feedback to see if the "big hit" was actually found and mailed... in this case, it is a shot in the dark.
[Image: bZcet.png]
(Banner by jbel4331)
Adam Dunn Super Collector.

it's just a dutch auction, not a "hot pack" in collecting nomenclature

and, from my experience as a dutch auction seller for ten years, here is how this will work:

the mantles will not go out. if it did go out, it certainly wouldnt go out early. and if someone posts feedback that they got it, it was probably a friend

these kind of dutch auctions are actually not allowed on ebay bevcause they are, in fact, lotteries. lotteries that are in fact, fixed

look, im giving someone early next week a BVG 4.5 andy pafko (a card worth a couple grand). the difference between me and that guy? well, around 6500 positives. but: i dont advertise the big cards i have, because when i get them, they go out. in the case of the pafko, i had a customer order a large number of lots, and he allowed me to go "shopping for him"

in short: this mantle chase is probably a scam. he knows if the mantle is in a pack. in order to sell the lots, it would not make sense for the seller to get rid of the mantles early on

RE: Is it me or is this crazy/ridiculous and un-ethical
I know this is crazy, but call me maybe?
[Image: banner.png] [Image: wieters-1.png]
Collecting Orioles, Ravens, and Topps Baseball sets 57, (Finally finished 58!), 67, and 69 (need only 2!). Also, MLB HOF Autos.

(06-16-2012, 08:09 AM)jtraven42 Wrote: I know this is crazy, but scam me maybe?
/fixed

Huge difference,
If this seller had your type of feedback, I would not question it. But a seller with 19 feedback making a move like this raised an eyebrow.

(06-16-2012, 08:01 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: it's just a dutch auction, not a "hot pack" in collecting nomenclature

and, from my experience as a dutch auction seller for ten years, here is how this will work:

the mantles will not go out. if it did go out, it certainly wouldnt go out early. and if someone posts feedback that they got it, it was probably a friend

these kind of dutch auctions are actually not allowed on ebay bevcause they are, in fact, lotteries. lotteries that are in fact, fixed

look, im giving someone early next week a BVG 4.5 andy pafko (a card worth a couple grand). the difference between me and that guy? well, around 6500 positives. but: i dont advertise the big cards i have, because when i get them, they go out. in the case of the pafko, i had a customer order a large number of lots, and he allowed me to go "shopping for him"

in short: this mantle chase is probably a scam. he knows if the mantle is in a pack. in order to sell the lots, it would not make sense for the seller to get rid of the mantles early on
Collecting Vintage football and all things Mickey Mantle.
[Image: th_598ff54f.jpg]

(06-16-2012, 08:22 AM)osujeffrey Wrote: Huge difference,
If this seller had your type of feedback, I would not question it. But a seller with 19 feedback making a move like this raised an eyebrow.
honestly: if someone with 6 grand feedback had this up, i would still think it was a scam. they could absorb a negative or two. also, easier to hide the fact that the mantle had never gone out

this kind of "lottery" dutch is just ripe for fraud

I wouldn't be lured in by someone advertising a mega hit in one of their lots. With that said, I've had positive experiences with the run-of-the-mill "dutch" auctions. I've always gone with guys who have a long history of positive feedback. If you go thru their history, you can see the feedback others have left on similar auctions. Usually I pay $5-10 and end up getting $25-100 BV in return. I've never gotten anything crazy, but it's a good way to get some trade bait. I've found that guys tend to take care of you if you're a repeat customer.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(06-16-2012, 07:40 AM)bunk27 Wrote: ive seen this a bunch of times... only way to know if seller is legit is check old feedback to see if the "big hit" was actually found and mailed... in this case, it is a shot in the dark.
Even this isn't a sure-fire way to know as the seller could have multiple accounts.

Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

I've seen these types of things through the years. Looking at his completed auctions on this, he's going to rake it in if he manages to complete all 75 of them since they've closed anywhere from the starting cost of $19 and change up to $33. Even if he actually had the two cards, if he sold 10-15 of them he'd make the money that selling those two alone would actually cost on there.

I would hope people would be a little more weary about this type of stuff and the seller himself, especially given the sellers awesome (<-----Laced with sarcasm) DSR ratings. I get the whole gambling aspect of it for people but there are better people to do this with on ebay. Even though I've given him a hard time a handful of times on here, if I was to ever buy into a dutch type auction, I'd go to jacoby's listing as he does have a long track record with great feedback.