`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Topps 1965 Set From Scratch

Topps 1965 Set From Scratch
So I thought I would take a stab at collecting a complete 1965 Topps baseball set.

Basically, Im starting from scratch. Nada card, Zero, Zilch.

I do not want to simply buy a complete set… where's the fun in that?

I thought I would try and collect the 550 or so 1965 commons by buying them in what's listed as EX+ bulk lots form eBay… Then collect the 50 or so Star cards in a PSA slabbed format, either off of eBay or at card shows.

Now here's the question:

Does anyone have any good strategies for buying the 550 or so COMMON cards from EBAY?

Its a chancy venture to buy off of eBay-- I mean you really never know what your gonna get in terms of quality, I've been burned a couple of times, but also been pleasantly surprised …

I thought I might do this:

Dedicate $1,000.00 to buying Large Lots 200+ card lots off of eBay.

It seems 1965 Commons can be had at 30-50¢/each in LARGE lots (smaller lots and individual cards seem to go for slightly more), so I should be able to buy aprox 2,500 individual COMMON plus minor star cards in big lots.

Then Ill sort, weed out a EX-NM set for about $250 (.40¢/each), and resell the DUPLICATES on eBay in slightly smaller lots, say 100 cards to recoup $600- $800 back.

Any comments?

RE: Topps 1965 Set From Scratch
(04-03-2012, 10:06 AM)JeffreyQ Wrote: Then Ill sort, weed out a EX-NM set for about $250 (.40¢/each), and resell the DUPLICATES on eBay in slightly smaller lots, say 100 cards to recoup $600- $800 back.

Any comments?

A friend of mine tried doing something similar, but with 1952s. He would buy a large lot that wasn't sold very well (bad scans/pics and such), take what he needed out of it, and re-lot the left overs with good scans and lists. It might be a little bit different with newer cards, but the theory should be similar. I think he ended up having over a hundred 1952s before he gave up, and after selling the extras off, they actually cost him very little. It was work, but it's doable.

If you got the time, go for it. WHats even better is if you go to flee markets or card shows, this way you can see them in person and even haggle a price.
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

Well if your looking for EXMT look for auctions that say NM lol.... It can be done but it will cost you more than you think. I did the same for my 55 Bowman set but I was willing to settle for VGEX and better. If you do get close I got a few to help you out...
[Image: 65tprbvg6.jpg][Image: 65tytcbvg6.jpg]
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

Excellent.

Ill keep a date-price-description log of the purchases and post back here when I get close to $1000.

Then I'll keep a log of the sales, and we'll try and see how efficiently this can be done.

I've been watching Topps '65 lots go on eBay for about a month now, and it seems there are plenty of high quality lots available within a 30 day period.

And as you suggest, when I get close, Ill look to the forum for the "slabbed" cards.

Thanks for the advice.

One more thing... as you've probably noticed, there are a lot of lots out there. I would suggest setting a per card limit for yourself, and not getting too attached to trying to win a given lot (unless there's a nice sleeper in there). Don't get caught up competing for a lot when there are a lot of other ones available.

Good luck. Let the collecting begin
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

Yes I agree on the "dont get caught up...." aspect of buying the lots.

Im gonna buy strictly on a 40¢/each and under principle.

There seems to be a non-consistent market for the large lots-- Sometimes they go high sometimes low.

By my calcs (from eBay "completed" auctions) Topps commons from '60-'65 seem to go for 30-50¢/each '66-'70 seem to go for 20-40¢/each.

Just a rule of thumb for large lots.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress. We love to see pics as they come in.

good luck on the quest!