`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Topps 1965 Set From Scratch

RE: Topps 1965 Set From Scratch
If you are thinking about buying those bulk lots ask for individual scans of those cards. I made the mistake of buying a lot on eBay where they only had a couple pictures and when I gott the cards the only ones in decent shape were the ones pictured. It's a good way for guys to offload their junk.

I met a guy who puts vintage sets together and he is always looking for better versions of cards he already has in completed sets. Once he gets them he sells the lower condition cards on eBay.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

Beautiful set, good luck. I've got a few to trade if you have anything that I need Smile
Interested in EX-MT or better pre-'56 Cardinals, '53 Bowman Color & '74-'78 Topps.
http://s606.photobucket.com/home/jalbregts

I bought a couple of 1961 Topps lots online from established dealers and was satisfied with the quality.
Ted Williams/Vintage Red Sox collector

Well--

I bid on a two BIG lots last eve-- and was aced out.

My bids were right at 30¢/card (800+ cards), and they finally sold at 62¢/card-- ridiculous-- No way Im paying that type of cash ($400+) for cards I can't see.

At 30¢/each its kind'a a treasure hunt... but at 60¢/each its kind'a like "blind man's bluff."

This is a waiting game.

Commons from the '65 set are selling for 60¢+/card-- too rich for my blood.

So I have switched to the '69 set-- which I have about 100 cards plus stars. I have nice dupes of Mantle, Perry, Seaver, Ryan-- which I can unload to pay for the missing Jackson, Bench and Rose.

I tried to buy a nice assortment of common lots to see if they came "as advertised." I picked a NM lot, a EX lot and a VG lot-- Plus I bought a 4th lot in VG just to fill out the set. The 4th lot had all the numbers of the cards listed, and included about 180 cards I needed to fill out the whole common set!

All in all I think I did OK-- 4 lots to complete a whole commons series!!!

I'm in just over $400 for 1,300 cards-- thats about 30¢/each.

Ill post more on condition/quality issues, and Ill have some things to say about what one actually receives in a NM Bulk lot-- But Ill save that for later-- Im still waiting on my 4th bulk purchase.

Heres some RANDOM pix of the lots:

45¢ Lot-- NM 100 cards-- $45
Photobucket

35¢ Lot-- EX 350 cards-- $120
Photobucket

25¢ Lot-- VG 330 cards-- $80
Photobucket

And Finally.... The last lot.

37¢ Lot -- VG-EX 380 Cards -- $140
Photobucket

Sat or Sun I will penny-sleeve all, and take a good look to see what I actual received. PLUS I will put up some interesting (well, interesting to me anyway) stats of what came in and what I still need.

So Far Im in Aprox $400-- And at first glance mot cards actually are VG-EX-NM. Most have sharp corners and nice colors (I never could figure out why the '69 set card backs range from dark pink to light pink to almost orange.)

Sure there are some stinkers but this set looks like its gonna come in at VG and Less 5%, VG-EX 50%, EX-NM 45%.

Looks like Im about 100 cards from a complete set. About 10 would be Stars (>$10.00+) 30 would High Cost Rookies, etc (<$10.00) and the remaining 60 are commons (<$1.50).

Star Lot 10 cards-- $58
Photobucket

Bought a single lot of stars off of eBay-- I needed 6 of the 10 cards. I was especially interested in the Mays and Aaron-- Both are in poor shape in my book. Considering that a EX-NM Aaron can go for as little as $15, and an EX-NM Mays can go for $20 on eBay-- I might have got jipped.

My bad, not the sellers'.

Still want to get up some 'purchase stats'- Im working on an excel spreadsheet that will do various set calculations automatically after I enter the cards I received in individual lots. Im sure that sounds like overkill-- but hey-- Im into statistics.

I've come to the conclusion that 'book value' means nothing. There was a time, maybe 15 years ago BEFORE ebay that 'book value' had real value to collectors. Now, the only price Ill go on for future purchases are eBay 'sold' listings.

I've seen '68 Topps Mantle in EX go for as little as $25-- Ive got three of them that I had hoped would bring $200-300 ungraded EACH-- But it looks like Ill be lucky to get $50-$75/each.

Next Lot:

$22 -- 20 cards
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Still trying to find time for those stats AND figure out how to use my scanner correctly-- But in the mean time Im still buying to complete the set.

I need 80 cards to complete the set, including a Rose, Bench and Jackson. All others are commons which I should be able to pick up for $1/each. The rule of thumb seems to be that you can get just about any common on eBay for $1 as a SINGLE card purchase. Fair deal, although I could buy 3 or four more $100 lots, cull what I need, and resell, and most likely break even. But that's a lot of trouble.

I'm sort of forced to look at individual card auctions with sellers listing multi-need cards-- in order to distribute the $2-5 shipping charges over 20 or so cards. These were mostly rated VG-EX-- Fair deal I guess, but the truth is you just cant tell what your gonna get from the pix on eBay. I think most people try to be honest-- but the BASIC TRUTH is-- Everyone sees the cards differently-- I would not rate any of these as EX.

Also- Im quietly completing my '50 Bowman set off of eBay also-- only need 4 more common cards PLUS a Spahn.

I've put together the complete 1969 master set the way you are doing it, including all of the white letter variations. I didn't keep track like you have but it was an amazingly satisfying set to put together! I have dups and I've done some trades with jtraven42 - not sure what dups he has but i know he is working on completing the MASTER SET (inside joke). Check my org and let me know if you need anything I have. My dups are pretty decent quality. Oh and btw, go for the master set, it's a better challenge!!
Collecting:
Matt Kemp AUTOS
Dodger GU & AUTO
2009 Ultimate or Legendary Collection Quad / Auto - ALL
Mantle cards
2001 Fleer Greats of the Game AUTO 92/94 - 97.8% complete - missing Stargell Redemption Card and Mays SP
National League Rookie of the Year - GU, Auto, RC
____