`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help identifying 1983-84 Star set

Help identifying 1983-84 Star set
Years ago I bought 3 Lakers Star sets from a collector. The 84-85 13 card set, the 85-86 set and a 10 card 83-84 set. I am trying to identify the 83-84 set because it doesn't have the gold background of the normal Lakers set. In addition these cards are numbered 1-10. The ten cards in the set are Jabbar, Cooper, Magic, McGee, Nater, Rambis, Scott, Worthy, Magic/Kareem, and Jabbar scoring leader.

My guess is that it's a promo set that was used as a giveaway but I was hoping someone could shed some light on it. Unfortunately, I need to sell it and I was hoping to get as much info as far as what it is, price and scarcity. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I just joined up here so I hope I'm posting this in the right place.
Thanks!

[Image: Optimized-DSCF2884.jpg]

[Image: Optimized-DSCF2882.jpg]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: Help identifying 1983-84 Star set
you posted in the right place. i can't see the attached files. please repost the images using photobucket.com by posting the IMG Code of the images.
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

I would assume that they might be from the 83-84 Laker Team Bag set? Hard to say without a pic...

You can get more info from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Compan..._1983-1986

Hope you find the answer, but do post a pic or two as I am now curious.

I thought it was the team bag set at first but those have a gold background. I can't find anything with the white background on beckett, ebay, wiki, etc.

so even the grading company doesn't know any info about this cards?

From what I can gather, the grading service that did this set is no longer in business...so I'm looking for information wherever I can find it.

i wish i can help. Sad

Looks like the grading company goofed. It's actually 84-85 Star Arena (probably why the company isn't in business anymore haha). If you search "1984 star kareem" you will see all three of your Abdul-Jabbars pop up.

Also, we can't give out exact book values since that is a subscription service, but they're nice cards, particularly since yours look to be in very good condition.
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

buck the big buck w/out tears Big Grin
http://www.checkoutmycards.com/Cards/Bas...r_Arena,sq

Mystery solved. thanks to everyone for their help.