Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Help identifying 1983-84 Star set
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Years ago I bought 3 Lakers Star sets from a collector. The 84-85 13 card set, the 85-86 set and a 10 card 83-84 set. I am trying to identify the 83-84 set because it doesn't have the gold background of the normal Lakers set. In addition these cards are numbered 1-10. The ten cards in the set are Jabbar, Cooper, Magic, McGee, Nater, Rambis, Scott, Worthy, Magic/Kareem, and Jabbar scoring leader.

My guess is that it's a promo set that was used as a giveaway but I was hoping someone could shed some light on it. Unfortunately, I need to sell it and I was hoping to get as much info as far as what it is, price and scarcity. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I just joined up here so I hope I'm posting this in the right place.
Thanks!

[Image: Optimized-DSCF2884.jpg]

[Image: Optimized-DSCF2882.jpg]
you posted in the right place. i can't see the attached files. please repost the images using photobucket.com by posting the IMG Code of the images.
I would assume that they might be from the 83-84 Laker Team Bag set? Hard to say without a pic...

You can get more info from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Compan..._1983-1986

Hope you find the answer, but do post a pic or two as I am now curious.
I thought it was the team bag set at first but those have a gold background. I can't find anything with the white background on beckett, ebay, wiki, etc.
so even the grading company doesn't know any info about this cards?
From what I can gather, the grading service that did this set is no longer in business...so I'm looking for information wherever I can find it.
i wish i can help. Sad
Looks like the grading company goofed. It's actually 84-85 Star Arena (probably why the company isn't in business anymore haha). If you search "1984 star kareem" you will see all three of your Abdul-Jabbars pop up.

Also, we can't give out exact book values since that is a subscription service, but they're nice cards, particularly since yours look to be in very good condition.
Mystery solved. thanks to everyone for their help.