`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Weird 90s base card variants that make Bakerman mad

RE: Weird 90s base card variants that make Bakerman mad
(02-15-2012, 12:13 AM)nittany13 Wrote: First off, this is a good thread Marinocollector. Good job.

I do however want to throw caution that these three examples may not be true parallels, although I am not saying at this time that all or any of the three are or are not for that matter. I just want to suggest a couple things before serious OPG inclusion consideration.

1993 Bowman Foil:
Although one can see variations in the foil, this may be a case that no two of these specific cards are exactly alike. For example:
[Image: scan0007-1.jpg]
The 1995 Stadium Club base is a prime example. The diffraction parallel that was added to the OPG last year is another story...

1996 Ultra:
I was looking at about twelve of the same card from this set tonight but could not readily find a variance. I looked at a few featuring another player I collect and noticed that one had a slightly "lighter" shade of foil on it.

No offense but I am not yet convinced that these were intentional gold/copper/silver variations. What sometimes happens is that the printing plates may sometimes print a lighter shade of color, a type of dye lot issue if you will, which may give the impression to the naked eye that it is a different color altogether.

In all fairness though if I saw the pictured cards in front of me I could possibly change my mind. If true perhaps these variations exist for only select cards in the set?

2001 Quantum Leaf:
Of the three this may be the most plausible. This could be a retail parallel which would not be an abnormality since there are a number of examples of this type of set parallel included in the OPG.

My only concern is that this could just be some "defect" or error card scenario instead. Frequently on eBay I see cards listed where there may be foil orsomething missing, prototypes in some cases. Those could have been bought bought at an auction of a defunct card company. If that be the case then these parallels in particular should definitely not be included in the OPG.
They are merely variations in the print run. Were these variations intentional? Probably not. Its like the 3 different holograms on 1991 UD. They are something cool to add to your collection when one already has everything. The 93 Bowman foil and the 96 Ultra are very common variants across the production.
The 1993 Bowman has 3 different sheets of foil used. The variation is hard to show in a scan, but very easy to see in person. The variation is across all the cards in the set.
The 1996 Ultra is definitely not a ink dye difference. The foil is noticeably different upon inspection. Am I looking for these cards to be listed in the Almanac? (ask your local card shop or buy one online, very 'spenive) No, but it is something cool for a player collector to own. It is the equivalent of the Extreme Corps/Rookie cards from 95 Stadium and the 7 foil variations.
The 2001 Quantum is an entirely different stand alone product. It should be listed. The problem is, the product is so incredibly rare it probably will never be recognized.
Beckett does not catalog everything, and its up to the collectors to point on these cards to other collectors. Heck, Beckett has stopped cataloging some very common well known versions of cards because they were never updated in the OPG and no one seemed to care enough to notice, such as the 95 Stadium Diffraction.
these are just something fun to chase. Thats it really. Baker asked me what other weird uncatalogued variants of common cards I knew of in a thread about 91 UD, so I figured I'd share with all.

Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

(02-15-2012, 04:58 AM)Marinocollector Wrote: Its like the 3 different holograms on 1991 UD. They are something cool to add to your collection when one already has everything.

Ummmm 3 ?

I know of 2... The UD logo and the one with Upper deck spelled out.

What's the 3rd ?

(02-15-2012, 04:58 AM)Marinocollector Wrote: They are merely variations in the print run. Were these variations intentional? Probably not. Its like the 3 different holograms on 1991 UD. They are something cool to add to your collection when one already has everything. The 93 Bowman foil and the 96 Ultra are very common variants across the production.
The 1993 Bowman has 3 different sheets of foil used. The variation is hard to show in a scan, but very easy to see in person. The variation is across all the cards in the set.
The 1996 Ultra is definitely not a ink dye difference. The foil is noticeably different upon inspection. Am I looking for these cards to be listed in the Almanac? (ask your local card shop or buy one online, very 'spenive) No, but it is something cool for a player collector to own. It is the equivalent of the Extreme Corps/Rookie cards from 95 Stadium and the 7 foil variations.
The 2001 Quantum is an entirely different stand alone product. It should be listed. The problem is, the product is so incredibly rare it probably will never be recognized.
Beckett does not catalog everything, and its up to the collectors to point on these cards to other collectors. Heck, Beckett has stopped cataloging some very common well known versions of cards because they were never updated in the OPG and no one seemed to care enough to notice, such as the 95 Stadium Diffraction.
these are just something fun to chase. Thats it really. Baker asked me what other weird uncatalogued variants of common cards I knew of in a thread about 91 UD, so I figured I'd share with all.
I understand your explanation. I also think it is cool that you took the time to explain and show all the variants because I too found it interesting. Thank you for sharing.

My intention was just to openly speculate whether these would qualify as legitimate OPG additions, not that I necessarily assumed that you did. As it is there are just some things currently in the OPG that do not qualify as legitimate additions or do not even exist for that matter (1997 Studio "Postcard Portraits"). I too though have been campaigning for a couple years to get some cards/parallels/sets added to the OPG that Beckett does not know about or got lost in the shuffle somehow.

I will state though that even if rare, assuming that this is a bona fide retail parallel, the 2001 Quantum Leaf non-foil parallel should be listed anyway.

[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

(02-15-2012, 11:08 PM)nittany13 Wrote: I will state though that even if rare, assuming that this is a bona fide retail parallel, the 2001 Quantum Leaf non-foil parallel should be listed anyway.
The 2001 quantum Leaf Retail is a real set. I saw only 2 or 3 blasters of the product in 2001.
I think its too rare to be confirmed.
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.