`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who do you "Dark Horse" Collect and why?

Who do you "Dark Horse" Collect and why?
My Dark Horse guy is Brandon Lafell. Last year kind fell through for him and he had some ball dropping issues and couldn't really get anything going. This year him and cam newton are on the same page and doing great, so i started collecting lafell while his cards are cheap hoping one day he can rise up to his full potential.

He has the size speed and route running ability from the games i have got to see so far. Now that he has a QB that looks promising, the sky is the limit for what this kid can do IMO if he continues to capitalize on his opportunities.

So who do you guys think and/or collect who are yet undiscovered, under the radar, rarely in media discussions kind of players that have a potential to explode to stardom given the opportunity?
[Image: Dmurray29.jpg]
PC: Dez Bryant, Felix Jones, Demarco Murray.

RE: Who do you "Dark Horse" Collect and why?
Same team, different WR---Armanti Edwards. He didn't get much opportunity to play last year and still won't see much time as a WR, but he has done well as a punt returner so far. As he starts to learn more about opposing teams' coverages, he can only get better. I started collecting him b/c the Panthers drafted him from Appalachian State University, where he led the Mountaineers to 2 straight D-II National Championships as the QB and went up to Michigan and beat them as well!

Back in 2009 Ryan Fitzpatrick was released from the hapless Bengals. He didn't put up the best numbers, but he wasn't the worst, either. In 2008, he did the best he could with what he had when he took over for Carson Palmer. He wasn't bad. It's just he didn't have time to set properly because of a weak o-line. When he did set properly, he was on target and had some zip on his throws. However, he wanted a starting job. The Bengals released him. He went on to Buffalo, a team with some talent but was in disarray. He got his knocks for a couple of years and the team still lost. But this time there was a difference - they weren't blown out and had a few missed last chances. Buffalo knows what it's like to lose and does not take each win for granted.

But this was not how this story began. It was about 20 years ago when a starting QB named Chris Miller was slightly injured and had to stay out for one series of possession. The backup QB came in. Out of 5 snaps he proceeded throw 4 times and get intercepted twice (one ran back for a TD) and get sacked once. But if you could get past that, this kid had a good zip on his throws and just needed a bit improvement in timing. It looked as if he were just starting cold. REALLY cold. But he was decisive in his strikes. Well, the next year, they traded this kid to Green Bay and was blossoming under the tutalege of Mike Holmgren. The rest is history.

So in looking for a dark horse that has every bit a chance to shine, I look to the backup QBs. These are the true diamonds-in-the-rough. You can get them cheap because everyone else usually concentrated on the following positions:

1. Starting quarterback
2. Starting running back
3. Starting wide receiver

Even the defense gets more attention than the backup QBs. But that's okay. That's what you want, because when the star goes down, all eyes will be on the understudy. And if the understudy does well, you can see a dramatic increase in demand almost overnight.

What I look for:
1. A good zip on his throws
2. Decisiveness but not stupidity - he might throw an INT but at least he wasn't forcing it into triple coverage
3. Doesn't panic when chased out of the pocket
Appearance over book value. I've seen some real high-end doozies....

My "Dark Horses" keep ending up "Front Runners"!!

First I Thought - "Fast Freddie" Jackson looks pretty good, Think I'll buy some of his stuff....BANG!! Too Late..

Then I thought - Hey! This guy The Pats drafted Rob Gronkowski, He's a local boy, think I'll pick up some of his stuff, maybe that Hernandez guy he plays with too... BAM! No cheap stuff there...

Then I thought - You know, that guy the Packers drafted James Starks is a local kid, and played for the UB Bulls.... I can grab him up pretty cheap (and did for a while) then POOF! - that well dried up..

WAS going to buy up Michael Jasper, then he got "demoted" to the practice squad, and no cards...

''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

My Dark Horses are
1) Germaine Crowell_ Fav Lion not named Barry Sanders or Calvin Johnson
2) Tiki Barber _ Not much of a dark horse I know, but I started collecting him when it was thought Ron Dayne was going to be the man in NY
3) I collect Rob Gronkowski as well but I don't think he'll be a dark horse anymore
4)Still searching for a new Dark Horse right now might be Patrick Chung
Looking for:
Shane Vereen
2010 Panini Threads CJ Spiller letter "I"
Topps Magic Autos
2010 Topps Prime Rookie Autographs

Check My Bucket and Sub-Folders
http://photobucket.com/jlombardi24

Last year I collected Donald Jones because he graduated from the college I attend [Youngstown State University]. He didnt do too much, then he got a shot, and he has move his way into a starting position. This year, it is Edmond Gates. I am hoping with his speed, he will turn into another Cribbs or Hester.

I did this with wes welker. I got everything i could. Looked how it turned out. One of the very few i have ever done that with and paid off.
Collecting Dolphins, PSU Alumni(in college uni)
[Image: catch.gif]

Like my Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/PHsportscards?ref=tn_tnmn

Mine was Eric Decker...Looks like one of the few bright spots for Denver this year. Glad I pick up over a dozen of his autos. Wish I picked up more cause they were CHEAP!
[Image: NJbm45f.png]
Sold Out. Save a few cards. Pick up only what I have to have.
Banner By jbel4331

(10-02-2011, 09:19 PM)samiamryan Wrote: Mine was Eric Decker...Looks like one of the few bright spots for Denver this year. Glad I pick up over a dozen of his autos. Wish I picked up more cause they were CHEAP!
He has been great in fantasy league for people who were smart enough to pick him up also.
(10-02-2011, 08:00 PM)gadsden86 Wrote: I did this with wes welker. I got everything i could. Looked how it turned out. One of the very few i have ever done that with and paid off.
Welker is a legend! Remember when he had his knee injury? Its kinda crazy, but he has done better since then when alot though he wouldnt have the cuts and game anymore
[Image: Dmurray29.jpg]
PC: Dez Bryant, Felix Jones, Demarco Murray.

(10-02-2011, 09:22 PM)CowboysFanatic Wrote: He has been great in fantasy league for people who were smart enough to pick him up also.

Right here buddy. Solid pick in the 15th round!! Jordy Nelson was another steal too!

Welker is a legend! Remember when he had his knee injury? Its kinda crazy, but he has done better since then when alot though he wouldnt have the cuts and game anymore
[Image: NJbm45f.png]
Sold Out. Save a few cards. Pick up only what I have to have.
Banner By jbel4331