`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new anti shilling technique

RE: My new anti shilling technique
LOL... that's all I have to say... some of you think that because you got sniped that you got shilled. I'm still not buying it... maybe people are just whining a bit because they didn't get the $1k card for $100? LOL. Anyways... life is a gamble. If you don't want to pay more than a certain price, get over it, and move on!

I love sniping....
....I can walk around in the fields for hours and not see anything....:p

I have not actually bid on an item in years. I just snipe everything as I just don't see the point in showing the other bidders what I would want to pay. And since the auctions have a definite end time, I just feel its the best way to go.

I'm the same way, I don't bid on items until they are in the last 5 minutes... I can't be shilled if I do that and if I can't watch the item, then I put in what I would be willing to pay and leave it to luck... I'm not going to complain for getting something at a price I was willing to pay.
I collect Peyton Manning and Griffey Jr.
My Bucket: http://s444.photobucket.com/albums/qq164/soccerscrub78
[Image: manning-griffeybanner2.jpg]

(10-11-2011, 02:29 AM)usafshelland Wrote: LOL... that's all I have to say... some of you think that because you got sniped that you got shilled. I'm still not buying it... maybe people are just whining a bit because they didn't get the $1k card for $100? LOL. Anyways... life is a gamble. If you don't want to pay more than a certain price, get over it, and move on!
THIS. I couldn't possibly agree more.

(10-02-2011, 01:54 PM)hodee5 Wrote: Am I reading that right? Now it's my fault that someone shills an auction that I bid early on? What's to stop a shiller from putting a bid in 2 minutes after his auction is listed? Is that my fault also? I see a card, bid on it whenever I want, for whatever amount I would pay for that card. I do not have some sort of Vulcan mind-meld thing going on with a potential shiller. The only thing I agree with you on is your last sentence. They're not important. They are cardboard, sometimes with serial numbers, pretty pictures, pieces of cloth-leather-plastic, ink on stickers, or better yet, ink directly on the pretty pictures! So don't bid $25 on card A, and just bid $3.....
Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. I'm not putting you down or anything for the way that you bid but yes, if you put a bid on a card an hour or 2 or more before it ends you open up the door for 2 things. 1) a seller to shill up your bid until he "feels" he is close to your max and even if he does go over your max chances are high someone else will out bid him. 2) Unnecessarily jacking up the price on a card because now someone else most likely bump up the price on a card that if you would have waited until the last minute would have sold for $10 instead of $1 over your max bid of $25. Now please read my whole paragraph - I am in no way saying this happens all the time but I am stating that you set yourself up for the possibility. Nor am I saying that bidding last second will stop a shiller. As others have stated a shill can happen any time during the auction.

Quote: When I say that I put a small bid in, i'm talking a dollar or two over current. And I'm sorry but even though I love sports cards, I have a life, a family. In terms of things that come up with real life things, compared to an auction to purchase a sports card, I hope you can understand why I may forget about an auction.

I do too - I have a job that takes me away 3 weeks out of the month where I'm sitting on a rig floor for 12 hours a day with no access to my computer let alone internet. I use my phone and sometimes it works and sometimes the receptions kills me and believe me I totally understand missing an auction - I've missed thousands. But as I stated I will never put a bid in early - If I cant bid on it last second I wont jack the price for someone else and I also wont open it up to be shilled more than it can possibly be.

Again I'm not putting anyone down nor am I trying to tell people how to do it right - I'm simply stating my opinion - that and $1.09 will get you a cup of coffee at 7-11 Smile
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC