`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new anti shilling technique

RE: My new anti shilling technique
(09-30-2011, 03:04 PM)diablo71 Wrote: I know some people do not like Snipe bidding but If at all possible waiting til the last seconds to bid on something is the best way to avoid "shilling"... Ever since i realized about "shilling" and getting burned more than once I have always avoided bidding til the end. Just my opinion but usually i can get stuff on ebay way cheaper than by bidding early.
I usually try a similar technique but I too am often the victim of forgetting until it's too late so I will usually throw down a low bid, enough to get high bidder but no where near my max. That way, if i forget, i still have an outside chance of getting it.
[Image: BECKETTBanner.jpg]
Trading for: Baseball Rookie Collection NEEDS | Frank Thomas | Ben Tate | Hideo Nomo | Ken Griffey Jr. (SEA uni) | Current Texans
*Wants marked as such* *NOT CURRENTLY TRADING*

Been there a couple times myself...

I bid at the last second. People who bid early allow shilling. Example you see card A for $3 and you max bid it to $25 and leave for the week, well now the seller can shill it up to $25 and if he over shills so what someone else will come bid or he can relist it and do it again, and if he pushes the limit you end up paying $25 for a card you could have gotten at the last second for $3. If you "forget" about it then it must not have been that important to get.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

Have ya'll noticed a seller who has been bashed for good reason on these boards numerous times for shilling, in his title of item, he will list what the bv is, only if you check it is ALWAYS inflated by $20-$40? He almost got me on something the other day, i wasnt paying attention to the seller and was just looking at title and it said BV $80, so i looked it up real quick and the BV was $40. So, I did some recon and everyone of his listings is like that. That is a blatant violation and they still wont do anything to him.
[Image: IMG_0004-3-1-1-1-1.jpg][Image: dcb5423c-6775-419e-9e21-4965884632ba.jpg]

(09-30-2011, 10:41 PM)jncdrew Wrote: Have ya'll noticed a seller who has been bashed for good reason on these boards numerous times for shilling, in his title of item, he will list what the bv is, only if you check it is ALWAYS inflated by $20-$40? He almost got me on something the other day, i wasnt paying attention to the seller and was just looking at title and it said BV $80, so i looked it up real quick and the BV was $40. So, I did some recon and everyone of his listings is like that. That is a blatant violation and they still wont do anything to him.
Yea I know who your talking about. He always does that. But man oh man I always wonder where does he get these cards? That must be one heck of a collection. Either that or he goes around buying out old card shops or something,LOL

[Image: eazyebanner.jpg]
Collecting ALL 2005 Frank Gore -148/406=36%
Collecting ALL 2006 Vernon davis -129/829=15%
Collecting ALL 2007 Patrick Willis -79/818=9%
Collecting ALL 2005-06 Monta Ellis -86/163=53%

(10-01-2011, 12:44 AM)eazy e Wrote: Yea I know who your talking about. He always does that. But man oh man I always wonder where does he get these cards? That must be one heck of a collection. Either that or he goes around buying out old card shops or something,LOL
I think he got ahold of a nice storage lot of a sports shop or something along those lines.
[Image: Dmurray29.jpg]
PC: Dez Bryant, Felix Jones, Demarco Murray.

Waiting until the end is good and all but doesn't guarantee you avoiding a shill. The smart shillers put their bid in once and a couple days before the end. It isn't always a series of bids in the final hours. Most of us have been shilled and don't even know it.

I use a sniping program. I pay for 10 snipes, then add an auction number plus the amount, and it does the sniping for me. They will even tell me if the bidding has gone over my snipe amount. Also, if they snipe and I don't win it, it doesn't cost me a snipe.
[Image: sds_zpsc4ba5032.jpg]

You are already missed

(09-30-2011, 10:07 PM)branesergen Wrote: I bid at the last second. People who bid early allow shilling. Example you see card A for $3 and you max bid it to $25 and leave for the week, well now the seller can shill it up to $25 and if he over shills so what someone else will come bid or he can relist it and do it again, and if he pushes the limit you end up paying $25 for a card you could have gotten at the last second for $3. If you "forget" about it then it must not have been that important to get.
Am I reading that right? Now it's my fault that someone shills an auction that I bid early on? What's to stop a shiller from putting a bid in 2 minutes after his auction is listed? Is that my fault also? I see a card, bid on it whenever I want, for whatever amount I would pay for that card. I do not have some sort of Vulcan mind-meld thing going on with a potential shiller. The only thing I agree with you on is your last sentence. They're not important. They are cardboard, sometimes with serial numbers, pretty pictures, pieces of cloth-leather-plastic, ink on stickers, or better yet, ink directly on the pretty pictures! So don't bid $25 on card A, and just bid $3.....

Our son Derrick, 3 years and counting Medulloblastoma survivor....
[Image: blackandwhite2-1.jpg]
Trade Pail

(09-30-2011, 10:07 PM)branesergen Wrote: I bid at the last second. People who bid early allow shilling. Example you see card A for $3 and you max bid it to $25 and leave for the week, well now the seller can shill it up to $25 and if he over shills so what someone else will come bid or he can relist it and do it again, and if he pushes the limit you end up paying $25 for a card you could have gotten at the last second for $3. If you "forget" about it then it must not have been that important to get.
When I say that I put a small bid in, i'm talking a dollar or two over current. And I'm sorry but even though I love sports cards, I have a life, a family. In terms of things that come up with real life things, compared to an auction to purchase a sports card, I hope you can understand why I may forget about an auction.
[Image: BECKETTBanner.jpg]
Trading for: Baseball Rookie Collection NEEDS | Frank Thomas | Ben Tate | Hideo Nomo | Ken Griffey Jr. (SEA uni) | Current Texans
*Wants marked as such* *NOT CURRENTLY TRADING*