`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking of collecting hockey, what product should I start with?

Thinking of collecting hockey, what product should I start with?
So anyone who collects baseball is familiar with Topps' monopoly. They have 2 low end products, 3 mid-end vintage products, 5 or so high-end products, and a whole crap ton of rookie and prospect products. Long story short, there's only 2 products I actually want to buy, others I just buy a bit here and there to buy some cards. But I've had enough. Hockey is my favorite sport, so I think I'm going to start collecting a little hockey. I have 2 LCS in the area that both sell hockey, and (to me) surprisingly a decent variety of products. I know very little about hockey products, so I'm wondering what you all recommend. Don't bother recommending The Cup. I'm quite familiar with it, the cards look amazing, but I want to buy cards more than twice a year. Big Grin I'm looking for low to mid-end products (say under 100 bucks per box) that I have a decent shot to pull some autos. I'm a big fan of nice card design, etc, not necessarily just the big hits. So what should I start with?
[Image: ozziesmithbanner.jpg]
Always collecting Ozzie Smith!

RE: Thinking of collecting hockey, what product should I start with?
You could get a good start with the new 2011-2012 Artifacts due out right away. And the price point per box should be right up your alley!

ITG decades this year it is the 80's

and next year will be the 90's

have plenty of blues to go after
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

Thanks, some cool looking stuff in those. It amazes me that there seems to be more hockey products than baseball, and certainly more variety.
[Image: ozziesmithbanner.jpg]
Always collecting Ozzie Smith!

(09-22-2011, 07:14 PM)dlcarst Wrote: Thanks, some cool looking stuff in those. It amazes me that there seems to be more hockey products than baseball, and certainly more variety.
I think companies probably barely break even on most of the other sports these days, just going on how baseball cards seem to be doing in the States. Hockey has a robust and loyal Canadian and international following from what I can tell (if not an American one), and it didn't suffer to the extent that baseball did from the forgettable late 80s-90s.

Anyway, we're really glad to have you. I personally only collect hockey now and I haven't looked back. I think if you pick the right place, you can always get a box of SP Authentic for just under $100 if you're lucky. You're guaranteed 3 autos and 3 RCs with some crossover, and since they're all on-card autos, they're pretty highly sought after. It's usually my favorite product each year...
LOGAN COUTURE | MARTIN ST. LOUIS | JEREMY ROENICK | JONATHAN TOEWS
Malkin | Iginla | Datsyuk | Kane | Larionov | Thornton | Fedorov
(Link) Gimme Your: 09-10 SP Authentic | 09-10 Ice | 07-08 O-Pee-Chee

Upper Deck series 1 and 2 are always very collectable. Every year there is the case for all the Young Guns and these cards seem to hold a decent value year after year. Boxes usually run around the 80 range. 6 YG's, 2 jersey cards and a hand full of inserts. You also usually complete the base part of the set in a box. Other products that are in the 100 dollar range are Ari facts (10 packs per box - 3 jersey / patch cards, 1 Auto, 1 Rookie Red., 1 parallel and 4 S/N cards), SP Authentic (mentioned above) SPx, O-Pee-Chee has a nice retro feel but 600 base cards to a set and will need 10+ boxes to complete. Then there is the Pannini products which I do not have a clue as to what will be coming out this year. Last year, Certified and Crown Royale we my personal favs.
[Image: 35754349162_ed852a8323.jpg]

Bucket: https://www.flickr.com/photos/123198232@N04/albums
"ONLY TRADER ALBUMS ARE AVAILABLE"

(09-22-2011, 07:14 PM)dlcarst Wrote: Thanks, some cool looking stuff in those. It amazes me that there seems to be more hockey products than baseball, and certainly more variety.
well there is 3 companies that do hockey

well 2 nhl license (UD and Panini) and one not but produces great cards (ITG)
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)