Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
== BV Basketball Question ==

RE: == BV Basketball Question ==
evanturner12-
Look at it this way. What you feel like you could/should get for your cards go for it. I've seen sellers hold on to stuff soo long because they felt like it's worth more, only to still have it years later when it's worth nothing. If you feel like your formula is better than what Beckett has in place then use it. Beckett is using averages based on previous sales. In your formula you used box prices. Based on that, if you wait 3 to 5 years from now all of your cards have a strong chance of losing value.

I'm a collector so I try not to view it in the same light. I've paid over BV for some items in my collection, because I really wanted it. I try not to loose sight of this just being a collection of paper, ink & material. That way it doesn't hurt as bad when I buy a box for $100 and only get junk, lol. There is someone out there that is willing to buy cards for BV high. The trick is trying to find them to make that sell. It's all apart of the thrill.

If you bought a Jordan for $10 that has a BV of $500 you wouldn't care what formula Beckett is using, lol. Because you know that you can get a few hundred at least for that card. So it comes back to my orginal point- you only can get what someone is willing to pay for it.
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

Most people aren't going to buy a card for $500 if the bv is $500.

Unless it's a special card. (Lebron RC, Kobe RC, MJ Auto etc).

They would be more likely to spend about $250.

(08-03-2011, 03:55 PM)kenarm79 Wrote: evanturner12-
Look at it this way. What you feel like you could/should get for your cards go for it. I've seen sellers hold on to stuff soo long because they felt like it's worth more, only to still have it years later when it's worth nothing. If you feel like your formula is better than what Beckett has in place then use it. Beckett is using averages based on previous sales. In your formula you used box prices. Based on that, if you wait 3 to 5 years from now all of your cards have a strong chance of losing value.

I'm a collector so I try not to view it in the same light. I've paid over BV for some items in my collection, because I really wanted it. I try not to loose sight of this just being a collection of paper, ink & material. That way it doesn't hurt as bad when I buy a box for $100 and only get junk, lol. There is someone out there that is willing to buy cards for BV high. The trick is trying to find them to make that sell. It's all apart of the thrill.

If you bought a Jordan for $10 that has a BV of $500 you wouldn't care what formula Beckett is using, lol. Because you know that you can get a few hundred at least for that card. So it comes back to my orginal point- you only can get what someone is willing to pay for it.
 photo 7dbbff6f-c806-4600-9a7a-188e4785bb3a.jpg

I run a card shop and people come in the shop all the time asking about bv and how it is the true value and I always say that bv is completely irrelevant. I get asked what % I pay for a card in comparison to its bv and back to it is irrelevant. Some cards I will gladly pay half book or more for if I know I can get bv however others i can't pay 10% of because that is all they sell for. The bv is a waste of time, look to ebay for a cards real "true" value at any given time. (far more up to date as well)
[Image: celts_reds_bengs_sig.jpg]
WHO-DEY

(08-05-2011, 07:15 PM)whodeyalltheway Wrote: I run a card shop and people come in the shop all the time asking about bv and how it is the true value and I always say that bv is completely irrelevant. I get asked what % I pay for a card in comparison to its bv and back to it is irrelevant. Some cards I will gladly pay half book or more for if I know I can get bv however others i can't pay 10% of because that is all they sell for. The bv is a waste of time, look to ebay for a cards real "true" value at any given time. (far more up to date as well)

thanks... i only buy a mag once a year, but I guess I will stop buying it.
 photo 7dbbff6f-c806-4600-9a7a-188e4785bb3a.jpg