`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What were they thinking (Free Agent Signings)

RE: What were they thinking (Free Agent Signings)
(01-11-2013, 08:18 AM)shezdoni Wrote: Dodgers sign Zach Greinke to $148 million 6 yr contract with an opt out after 3 yrs. (making it a $148 million 3 yr contract to MLB )

I'm sorry but the Dodger fans got hosed on this deal, Greinke isn't worth anything even close to that, maybe a mill and a half but not $50 mill a yr, and he is more than likely going to be a huge bust in LA.

Tigers: Sign Anibal Sanchez to 5 yrs $80 Mill, sorry but he also is not worth that kind of Moola, Detroit is going to get Hosed on this one.

Pirates: sign Russ Martin to 2 yrs and $17 Million, anybody wanna bet he is gone before the season trade deadline for mediocre players?

They would have been better off using that money to get some quality pitching, Like Marcum, Lohse, Braden,Millwood, Saunders, etc.....The Pirates will never be contenders until they fix the Pitching rotation, and stop giving away top players and prospects for mediocre minor leaguers

Whoa, whoa. I don't think the fact that he can opt out of his contract after 3 years makes it a 3 year $148m deal. (More like a 3 year $70m deal). Am I wrong?

Also, the thing that has changed drastically in the last year or 2 is that teams are negotiating NEW long-term television contracts. In the Dodgers case, their 25-year deal is estimated to be worth $6 BILLION. That money has to go somewhere, and it doesn't bother me if the players share in the good fortune (that they helped to create).

The flip side is that ticket prices continue to rise (in addition to other fan costs). Also, the gap between the big market and small market teams will grow exponentially. I guarantee within 10 years baseball will be forced to institute some form of a meaningful salary cap.

Teams like the Tigers are going to be in big trouble 3 years from now when they have 7 years left on their tv contract that pays them only $40m (only!) per season when teams like the Dodgers will be making 2-5X as much. How can the Tigers (for example) afford to keep their star free agents (like Verlander) if there are teams out there that will be able to afford $30m+ per season for 6 or 7 years.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Messages In This Thread
RE: What were they thinking (Free Agent Signings) - by uvaspina - 01-11-2013, 08:35 PM