`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Graded Wall Display -- My Attempt

RE: Graded Wall Display -- My Attempt
Woah. Is that a matted cutout or are all those card cutouts in wood?

And I'm just going to say this. I have a new favorite color. Pics coming of the cabernet frame I'm working on.

(02-17-2014, 05:06 PM)fast93bird Wrote: Woah. Is that a matted cutout or are all those card cutouts in wood?

That's a matted cut with all those areas hand cut.
Not for the faint of heart . The precision required laser measurements.

Jeff

Lol, matting is something I don't think I'll get into. My mom used to do it and I just don't have the drive for that. Looks sharp, but to be able to do that properly, the investment in equipment has got to be astronomical.

So here's the Cabernet stained case I'm working on. I can honestly say that this is probably my favorite color at this point. It's just so......red. These pics are with ZERO polyurethane on it. Just three coats of stain only. I've got the second coat of poly setting up right now and it's very VERY nice looking.

[Image: DSC_0484_zps284a9fc0.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0483_zps33350de8.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0481_zps647bb4d7.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0480_zps03d02936.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0479_zps13a1ecfd.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0478_zps14ab8aac.jpg]

Very sweet congrats
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK

Have to agree with you on the Cabernet, looks amazing from the pics. Keep up the great work.
Collecting the following players:
Steve Garvey (177 different cards) --Willie McCovey (168 different cards) --Will Clark (199 different cards) --Mel Ott (132 different cards) --Willie Mays (28 different cards)
=Currently collecting vintage tobacco and tea cards as well as Topps Allen and Ginter=

Well, production has slowed WAY down. Just started a new job on Monday at our local BF Goodrich plant (boy am I just enthralled to be working there! Seriously, I'm so happy about it!) and I've been 7-3 all week. So I can only do about a single coat of anything at night now. Next week is the same, then I shoot to rotating 12's so I'll have a little more productivity time afterwards.

The Cabernet case is VERY close to being done. Good thing too because I'm expecting about 4 more PC 9.5's to arrive shortly, and I've got my eye on another that I'm going to hopefully grab monday. I'm out of room!!!!! Anyway all I've got left to finish it is some more poly on the outer frame, finish the one shelf stain/poly, glass and fabric.

Ok, I know I said I was going to be done, but I kept going on and on and on with the poly coats. This baby is SLICK it's so smooth. I'm at the point now where I only have to do the fabric and glass. But with my schedule for training at the new job (7 am to 3 PM) I'm pretty beat at the end of the day and have a ton of other higher priority stuff to do. So it's been on the back burner. I'm going to finish it either tomorrow night if I don't take my son to the minor league hockey game, or Saturday if I do.

Got a request for a custom case today for SGC graded cards. I had no freaking idea that SGC cases were so large compared to BGS/PSA. I'm having to redo pretty much every dimension to accommodate those.

Congrats on the new job! And gotta agree with the Cabernet!
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

Ok, here she is, all done. I'm pretty doggone tickled with this one.

[Image: DSC_0486_zps38dd066d.jpg]

With glass in:
[Image: DSC_0487_zps3c819ee9.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0490_zps9a3306ea.jpg]

And this is why I like this one so much. Here's a shot that shows the quality of the polyurethane coating I gave it:
[Image: DSC_0489_zps35f3f140.jpg]

Sadly, I've got to rearrange because I don't have room on my wall for this one. Hmmm.......

So.....took another order today, this one is unique.

[Image: DSC_0493_zps91837f01.jpg]

Guy contacted me, saying he wanted a single row case about 40-42" wide, but tight enough to not have a bunch of slop between cards. Ended up with a 39 1/4" inner width for a 40.75" outer width and will hold 12 BGS slabs. I though this was an odd request and queried the customer as to what it's for, and as I suspected, it's going to sit under a much larger framed item of the man himself, MJ. Apparently he's got a big piece of memorabilia framed and wants to put some prized cards under it. Works for me!

Going to be black again. Seems either black or red. No one has bit off on a natural or lighter colored piece yet.