`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Graded Wall Display -- My Attempt

RE: Graded Wall Display -- My Attempt
(01-29-2014, 02:08 AM)fast93bird Wrote: but the latter is being done in Red Mahogany and is coming out VERY nicely from what little I've needed to stain so far.

Pics to come tomorrow!
:-) Glad to hear it :-)
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

(01-31-2014, 10:24 AM)dmasci Wrote: :-) Glad to hear it :-)
Here's yours in progress. Sorry it's taking so long, the weather jumping around made it rough on drying times for the stain. She's rolling now, clamped and setting.

[Image: DSC_0287_zps07490507.jpg]

Here's the finished stain for the inner perimeter:
[Image: DSC_0284_zps63bed77a.jpg]

And I did this to show you what the actual surface is like.
[Image: DSC_0286_zps998423a6.jpg]

And here's the other frame I'm working on, this one's a full custom. For one touch cases, and I had a smoking cool idea I'll describe below the pic.

[Image: DSC_0303_zps8ab07e35.jpg]

See the lines right at magnet level for each row? Those are scribe marks for where I'm going to put a thin groove in the back sheet and lay a strip of steel in. This has been tested and will allow the very strong (probably rare earth) magnets in the one touch cases to firmly hold the cards from tipping forward, yet hold softly enough to easily remove from the case.

More to come on this one as it progresses.

Couple days behind, but after sanding, and NO FILLER.......this is what that Logan sander did for my miter corners.

[Image: DSC_0307_zps585870ec.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0306_zps71975897.jpg]

Pleased? You betcha.

In progress some more. The 10 card graded case I'm doing is getting clear at this point. This is on 3 coats of Minwax Red Mahogany and it looks wonderful.

[Image: DSC_0318_zps0d00b8db.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0320_zpsa1fdfe6a.jpg]

I also tried something new. Before, on the piece that gets glued to the acrylic, I was cutting the whole backside out which left an unsightly gap. With this case, I used a VERY sharp razor and made an incision along the base of what's left of the inside piece, thus giving a step to the handle piece. This covers the side edge of the glass and really gives a much cleaner look to the side of the case.

[Image: DSC_0321_zps1bb3ed1b.jpg]

This is the one touch case I'm still staining. I think I just put the 5th and final coat of stain on it. The Minwax Ebony is difficult to get complete coverage quickly, but the more you put on the darker the black gets. This pic below was after the first coat:

[Image: DSC_0311_zpsef11c898.jpg]

These are after either the 5th or 6th coat....I don't remember, lol.

[Image: DSC_0322_zps0b6e2863.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0323_zps72cb6e49.jpg]

Still have some extra work to do to this one to get the metal in for the magnets in the cases.

Both of these should be done and ready to ship on Wednesday, but I fear delay in shipping due to the impending foot of snow we're supposed to get Tuesday night/wednesday morning.

That black one is looking sharp!
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

The hard part with it comes later on. Taking a couple of thin strips out of the ply back sheet without ruining it, just so I can put some metal in for magnetic purposes. I'll be taking quite a few pics of that.

So....finished up both cases.

This is what I did to the one touch case, and I'm VERY pleased with it's results.

Recesses for the metal strip for the one touch magnets to grab.
[Image: DSC_0324_zps070bfb1f.jpg]

You can see how thin my cuts had to be:
[Image: DSC_0325_zpsbd1041c2.jpg]

Metal strips in:
[Image: DSC_0326_zpsb8cedc22.jpg]

The finished product:

[Image: DSC_0327_zps1bdb9936.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0328_zps6865f8f7.jpg]

The top card is in a pretty thick one touch, the bottom one is the one you sent me.

[Image: DSC_0329_zpse3062227.jpg]

And the coup de gras, the forward tilt capability:

With a screwdriver pushing top away from the wall:
[Image: DSC_0330_zps8a932248.jpg]

And my wife holding it with an extreme forward tilt (it would have gone a little farther before the weight overcame the magnets):

[Image: DSC_0331_zps63c1bffe.jpg]

And this is by far my best production yet. Even my wife complimented me on this one:

[Image: DSC_0333_zps1d2bf68f.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0334_zps992f1818.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0335_zpsab0e7d44.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0336_zps7931ada2.jpg]

This last shot shows how well my new cutting technique for the piece of wood that gets glued to the acrylic worked out. EXTREMELY pleased with how this ended up. Has a far more appealing and professional appearance now.
[Image: DSC_0337_zpsa5b077b6.jpg]

Blah! I just noticed all the fingerprints. Don't mind those. Big Grin

So the one touches stick to the magnets behind the felt - That is pure awesome! Might wanna patent that invention lol Unless of course its already out there haha
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

(02-05-2014, 11:59 PM)branesergen Wrote: So the one touches stick to the magnets behind the felt - That is pure awesome! Might wanna patent that invention lol Unless of course its already out there haha
It's not out there that I know of.

It's not magnets that I put in the backboard, just a thin metal strip, but thick enough that there's enough there for the magnets in the one touch cases to bite on to. Those one touch cases use small rare earth magnets which have a VERY strong pull. So you just toss a piece of metal behind them and they go for it. It worked out FAR better than I anticipated.

(02-05-2014, 11:59 PM)branesergen Wrote: So the one touches stick to the magnets behind the felt - That is pure awesome! Might wanna patent that invention lol Unless of course its already out there haha
Have to agree. Pretty amazing idea and it came out looking awesome.
Album: Album

1997 Donruss Preferred Precious Metals
1997 Topps Gallery Gallery of Heroes