`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Bye Brooks!

Good Bye Brooks!
A sad day today as Brooks Robinson passed.  The best fielding 3rd baseman ever IMO and one of my hero's at the "hot corner" (I was a delusional 3rd sacker playing 3rd in both hard and softball.  Rest in peace!!!
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

RE: Good Bye Brooks!
Brooks was one of my favorite players when I was growing up in the late 60s and early 70s. His fielding was legendary but he was a superior batter as well. The Orioles have lost an icon. R.I.P. Brooks.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I was just looking at a blue chrome parallel/50 of a Turkey Red insert of Brooks I pulled a couple of years ago the other day.

By all accounts I've heard in the last few days, he was a very good guy in addition to being a great ballplayer.

Back in the late 80s and early 90s, my father and his friend promoted baseball card shows. I would set up, work the admissions table, and clean up ... one of my rewards was getting to ride to the airport to bring the signing athletes to their flights home. Brooks Robinson was one of my favorites, even though I was a teenager and had never seen him play. I got to ride in the back seat with him (about a 45 minute car ride) and he was relatable to everyone, even a kid who didn't fully comprehend how great he was. He was funny, cordial, attentive, a tiny bit off color but in a passable way ... it remains one of my fondest memories of my youth.
I collect Dany Heatley, Nicklas Backstrom, all Red Wings and most Yankees.

(10-01-2023, 01:21 PM)gmccarth Wrote: Back in the late 80s and early 90s, my father and his friend promoted baseball card shows. I would set up, work the admissions table, and clean up ... one of my rewards was getting to ride to the airport to bring the signing athletes to their flights home. Brooks Robinson was one of my favorites, even though I was a teenager and had never seen him play. I got to ride in the back seat with him (about a 45 minute car ride) and he was relatable to everyone, even a kid who didn't fully comprehend how great he was. He was funny, cordial, attentive, a tiny bit off color but in a passable way ... it remains one of my fondest memories of my youth.
Awesome!

Brooks Robinson was the G.O.A.T. 3rd basemen ... 16 gold gloves ... I don’t think anyone compares at the Hot Corner.
Brooks was responsible for me collecting Baseball cards.
I was in Target in 2011 and picked up a random pack of Heritage ... inside a signed Brooks Robinson card!!! That got me hooked.
In 2017 when my interest in cards was waning, I picked up a Heritage blaster (1968 design) and got ... another Brooks Robinson auto card.. I took that as a sign to keep collecting.
So baseball cards & Brooks just kinda goes together for me.
R.I.P. BR

PS: hi everyone & Joe ... good luck ... Phillies vs Marlins ... I’m kinda rooting for the fish, sorry Bud!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(10-03-2023, 07:55 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: PS: hi everyone & Joe ... good luck ... Phillies vs Marlins ... I’m kinda rooting for the fish, sorry Bud!
No apologies needed.  You gotta root for who you gotta root for.  Hope all is well.....MORON!  LOL....haha