`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where do they get these numbers?

Where do they get these numbers?
I have, as an example, a "2022 Panini Prizm Draft Picks Signing Sessions #92 Miguel Vargas" card.  The number on the back of the card is clearly labeled as "No. SS-MV".  No where on the card does #92 appear (front or back).  I even scanned the fine print with a magnifying glass.  I have encountered this situation quite a few times.  I will go ahead and catalog the card in my collection as #92 but will note in the comments that this number does not appear on the card.  I am really just curious where they get these numbers.  Are they just made up? Serialized? Are these numbers recognized as "official" in the hobby?

RE: Where do they get these numbers?
The manufacturer provides the checklist
Miguel Vargas
3B - Los Angeles Dodgers

See here:
https://www.paniniamerica.net/checklist.html
Beckett.Moderator.Floydtown@gmail.com
TOS

[Image: florida-gators.gif]
U.S. Army-Retired
Member since 10-04-1997 (#113)

Fascinating. Thanks for the quick and concise response, Honorable Super Moderator and Wise One. Smile

lol
TOS

U.S. Army-Retired

So that Panini site for Baseball only goes back to 2004.

Another example is that I have 1995 Upper Deck Crash the Game set numbered CR1-CR20.
Several sets of Crash for that year so that complicates things.
In the OPG, they are numbered 1-20 and say Exchange in the title but Exchange is not on the cards anywhere but the pics match up perfectly.

Searching for CR-1 through CR-20 does not produce any cards that match this sealed set.

I spent a lot of time just trying to find these 20 cards, this is just one of the many examples I have for the 20k cards input so far. Most match up, but the ones that don't are a pain.
Is there another site that shows these sets that Beckett gets its data from so I can save some time when this comes up?

Thanks,
Kevin

-Exchange means it was a redemption card, not going to be marked on the card itself
-Beckett gets the checklists from the manufacturer
-less is always better when searching such as 1995 Crash the game, then use filters on the left. In this case I believe you are talking about collector's choice made by upper deck.
TOS

U.S. Army-Retired