Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling it Good on 2023 Sage After 3rd Dud Blaster

Calling it Good on 2023 Sage After 3rd Dud Blaster
Football Banger Bros,

I opened two blasters of 2023 Sage High Series last week, looking for base cards of Lions picks Jack Campbell and Brian Branch - mission accomplished!

To be more specific, I pulled a silver Campbell and two base black Branches.

My best auto was Cody Mauch - second round OL, Tampa Bay.

I was pleasantly surprised to see what those were going for, as he's quite a character.

My other autos ...

Regular autos:

Demontrey Jacobs, OT, U of South Florida
Elijah Dotson (red), RB, UDFA Chargers
Joel Wilson, TE, UDFA Saints – also a “State of Michigan” PC card, Central Michigan
Matthew McKay (red), QB, Elon, I think

Sneak Peak auto:
Devin Baldwin, DE, UMass

The funny part was that there are only 8 Sneak Peak autos on the checklist, and the only big name is Caleb Williams. Baldwin was one card away on the checklist ... so close!

Meanwhile, one more blaster was en route from a Target online purchase.

I got it today, and it was the worst of the three.

The clear highlights were a silver Branch and a black base Campbell, so now I have both versions of each.

Other than that? Nuthin'

Here are my three autos:

- Blake Freeland, fourth round OL, Colts - this card looks cool because he played at BYU, so he's already in Indy colors
- Jimmy Phillips, UDFA LB, Packers
- Ellis Merriweather, UDFA RB, Packers

So ... yeah. A fourth round lineman and two guys from my least favorite team.

I guess I should start a UMass football PC, as both Baldwin and Merriweather played there.

(SAGE did spell 'Massachusetts' as 'Massechusetts' on the back of the Merriweather card. I continue to offer my proofreading skills to these card companies. In lieu of payment, I will accept free cases of cards. Nobody has taken me up on this ... yet.)

RE: Calling it Good on 2023 Sage After 3rd Dud Blaster
One of the charming factors of Sage is that they make a whole bunch of sometimes hilarious errors - my favorite Sage Error cards are also Eagles p.c. items - in 2017 they mixed up the stickers on some Jake Elliot autographs with stickers from Adam Bisnowaty and vice versa - as a result, I have for my Eagles collection, Jake Elliot cards with Adam Bisnowaty autographs, Adam Bisnowaty cards with Jake Elliot autos, and correct Jake Elliot cards with Jake Elliot autos.

Given that was 2017, it would have been really funny if Sage made that error between Patrick Mahomes and say UCLA quarterback Mike Fafaul who according to Linked In played for 4 years in the arena football league and was a offensive coordinator for a high school football team - it looks like he is done with football - just finished an MBA from Johns Hopkins and is now working for Morgan Stanley

Imagine how wild that would be to have Patrick Mahomes cards with the auto of a guy who played in the arena league a couple of years and cards of a guy who played in the arena league a couple of years with Patrick Mahomes autos on them.

(05-10-2023, 09:06 AM)ZSDOne Wrote: One of the charming factors of Sage is that they make a whole bunch of sometimes hilarious errors - my favorite Sage Error cards are also Eagles p.c. items - in 2017 they mixed up the stickers on some Jake Elliot autographs with stickers from Adam Bisnowaty and vice versa - as a result, I have for my Eagles collection, Jake Elliot cards with Adam Bisnowaty autographs, Adam Bisnowaty cards with Jake Elliot autos, and correct Jake Elliot cards with Jake Elliot autos.

Given that was 2017, it would have been really funny if Sage made that error between Patrick Mahomes and say UCLA quarterback Mike Fafaul  who according to Linked In played for 4 years in the arena football league and was a offensive coordinator for a high school football team - it looks like he is done with football - just finished an MBA from Johns Hopkins and is now working for Morgan Stanley

Imagine how wild that would be to have Patrick Mahomes cards with the auto of a guy who played in the arena league a couple of years and cards of a guy who played in the arena league a couple of years with Patrick Mahomes autos on them.
I would be the guy to pull the Mahomes, but with the wrong auto

(05-10-2023, 09:24 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I would be the guy to pull the Mahomes, but with the wrong auto
It would be interesting to see how the market reacted to that - it would still be a rare Mahomes rookie year card even though it had the auto of someone else (and then there would be cards of some random guy with Mahomes autos)

(05-10-2023, 10:15 AM)ZSDOne Wrote: It would be interesting to see how the market reacted to that - it would still be a rare Mahomes rookie year card even though it had the auto of someone else (and then there would be cards of some random guy with Mahomes autos)
That kind of happened in 1995 (?) I believe, with the Topps Carlos Beltran rookie card ... had Juan LeBron as the photo on the Beltran card, and Beltran's photo on the Juan LeBron card.

That one is funny because Beltran is one of the key cards in the set.

Also sort of happened with my Creamsicle Bucs Collection ... the 1991 Ultra Eugene Marve card has Reggie Cobb's photo on the back, and Reggie Cobb's card has Eugene Marve's photo on the back.

I would think that if you collected those teams or players you would have to have both.

(05-10-2023, 10:39 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: That kind of happened in 1995 (?) I believe, with the Topps Carlos Beltran rookie card ... had Juan LeBron as the photo on the Beltran card, and Beltran's photo on the Juan LeBron card.

That one is funny because Beltran is one of the key cards in the set.

Also sort of happened with my Creamsicle Bucs Collection ... the 1991 Ultra Eugene Marve card has Reggie Cobb's photo on the back, and Reggie Cobb's card has Eugene Marve's photo on the back.

I would think that if you collected those teams or players you would have to have both.
I know that with the Elliot one, I've got the Elliot with the wrong auto, the other guy with the Elliot auto, and Elliot with the correct auto - since the Eagles probably don't win the Super Bowl without Elliot, they are absolutely key cards in my Eagles collection

I am guessing that given that it was a kicker and an offensive linesman they aren't worth very much even as funny errors

(05-10-2023, 12:37 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: I know that with the Elliot one, I've got the Elliot with the wrong auto, the other guy with the Elliot auto, and Elliot with the correct auto - since the Eagles probably don't win the Super Bowl without Elliot, they are absolutely key cards in my Eagles collection

I am guessing that given that it was a kicker and an offensive linesman they aren't worth very much even as funny errors
I think that's what I like most about collecting - the diversity of what everyone is interested in.

Example - my beloved $5 Walgreens mixers.

I went back through them not too long ago and probably pulled out about 30 different Creamsicle Tampa Bay Bucs cards.

Any one card is not that cool, but when you sleeve them up and flip through them all together, it's pretty cool.

(05-10-2023, 04:12 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I think that's what I like most about collecting - the diversity of what everyone is interested in.

Example - my beloved $5 Walgreens mixers.

I went back through them not too long ago and probably pulled out about 30 different Creamsicle Tampa Bay Bucs cards.

Any one card is not that cool, but when you sleeve them up and flip through them all together, it's pretty cool.
Creamsickle Bucs cards will always be cool - I also like Houston Oilers cards and New England cards with Pat the Patriot on the cool uniform cards (one of my favorite Gem Fire Banger pulls from one of those One autograph plus 4 Packs boxes they used to have at Target is 2013 Elite Aspirations (or Status not sure which is which without looking at it) Tom Brady /88 - Blue Card with the Pat the Patriot red uniform - it just looks cool and let's face it, out of a single hobby pack of 2013 Elite pack, a Tom Brady parallel is about as good as it gets)

I've actually started a rather silly side collection of kicker and punter cards - so obviously, the Elliot autos (and autos of an offensive linesman on an Elliot card work for that) - the best part about buying kicker and punter cards is that they are cheap

I also have to say that my collection is pretty much the "collect what nobody else is interested in" - except for my Hall of Fame autograph card collecting and maybe the collecting Vintage Eagles part

(05-11-2023, 09:10 AM)ZSDOne Wrote: Creamsickle Bucs cards will always be cool - I also like Houston Oilers cards and New England cards with Pat the Patriot on the cool uniform cards (one of my favorite Gem Fire Banger pulls from one of those One autograph plus 4 Packs boxes they used to have at Target is 2013 Elite Aspirations (or Status not sure which is which without looking at it) Tom Brady /88 - Blue Card with the Pat the Patriot red uniform - it just looks cool and let's face it, out of a single hobby pack of 2013 Elite pack, a Tom Brady parallel is about as good as it gets)

I've actually started a rather silly side collection of kicker and punter cards - so obviously, the Elliot autos (and autos of an offensive linesman on an Elliot card work for that) - the best part about buying kicker and punter cards is that they are cheap
Facts

That's why I was really hoping the Lions would get Jake Moody from Michigan to continue their great tradition of really good ki8ckers like Eddie Murray, Jason Hanson, Matt Prater, etc.