Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Think I'm Retiring ... Just Done Dealing With Topps' Shenanigans

I Think I'm Retiring ... Just Done Dealing With Topps' Shenanigans
Bros in baseball,

So back in November I busted 7 blasters of Topps Update from the same drop on the same day at the same WalMart.

Of course, Topps gonna Topps, so I got 4-5 copies of cards that nobody wants, and pulled exactly one each of the Julio Rodriguez US44 "rookie logo" card and the US97 "MLB Debut" card.

Of course, they were damaged.

As in, actually legitimately damaged, not as in "I'm a DBag Great New Collector and Case Breaker That Ruined It For Everybody Else By Sending In Every Card Hoping for a Gem Mint 10 Fire Banger Replacement That I Can Get Graded" kind of damaged.

Exactly 5 months and 18 days later - already, Topps? - I get a shipping notification from Topps.

Here are the two cards I'm apparently receiving back:

Julio Rodriguez (US97)
Ted Williams (87TBU-12)

Uhhhh, anybody notice anything ... extremely effing lame?

Apparently, the best card in the set and some random insert filler that nobody wants are considered "similar value" by Topps.

Of course I called, and of course the rep was kind enough to repeat the policy a few times, but did helpfully suggest I email the department that sent me the notification.

That way they can repeat the policy over email rather than actually talking with me about it.

Beyond pathetic.

At least send my damaged cards back with a note saying "sorry, replacement unavailable" and heaven forbid a pack or two for my time and trouble.

I mean, it's not hard. The only thing is, you have to give a crap, which is not these card companies' strong suits.

Anyway, enough shenanigans.

This rookie class sucks anyway and I already have stacks of Bowman "prospect" cards of most of the good ones, so I'll be sitting out the rest of 2023, Topps.

Then again, if you think about it, by pulling these shenanigans, it pretty much guarantees I'll never send in a damaged card replacement again - straight out of the Panini playbook.

Funny thing - Topps' equal value disclaimer says current-year replacements only - "while supplies last" - yet I sent it in the first day that retail was available.

How would supplies not last past the first day?

RE: I Think I'm Retiring ... Just Done Dealing With Topps' Shenanigans
That sucks- seems panini stopped replacing cards unless they are bent in half. I recently sent in some 2022 prizm football for obvious damage and got a package back pretty quick. I was happy until I opened it and they were the same cards I sent in with a note that they were all minimally damaged and met their quality standards yata yata yata and were not eligible for replacement. They sent them back in a plastic case that held them all but I sent in each card in a sleeve and toploader.
I guess the new standard for factory damaged means the card must be destroyed lol These were cards that I would not put on ebay because they were almost certain to be returned. I will give them away with sold items as they are not fit for sale or trade.
Beckett.Moderator.Floydtown@gmail.com
TOS

[Image: florida-gators.gif]
U.S. Army-Retired
Member since 10-04-1997 (#113)

Were any of the other cards in the pack damaged or just the Julio cards?

I had something similar happen. Recently, I broke open a factory sealed set of 2004 Topps and the Yadier Molina card was the only one that was damaged.

Very strange indeed!
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

(04-25-2023, 05:23 PM)floydtown Wrote: That sucks- seems panini stopped replacing cards unless they are bent in half. I recently sent in some 2022 prizm football for obvious damage and got a package back pretty quick. I was happy until I opened it and they were the same cards I sent in with a note that they were all minimally damaged and met their quality standards yata yata yata and were not eligible for replacement. They sent them back in a plastic case that held them all but I sent in each card in a sleeve and toploader.
I guess the new standard for factory damaged means the card must be destroyed lol  These were cards that I would not put on ebay because they were almost certain to be returned. I will give them away with sold items as they are not fit for sale or trade.
Wow, crazy.

I'm currently at 14 months and waiting for my Panini replacements, so I guess they “passed” inspection, LOL

(04-26-2023, 12:16 AM)jack pfiester Wrote: Were any of the other cards in the pack damaged or just the Julio cards?

I had something similar happen.  Recently, I broke open a factory sealed set of 2004 Topps and the Yadier Molina card was the only one that was damaged.

Very strange indeed!
I don’t know, it was just lame that they were the only Julio cards I pulled out of seven blasters and both were damaged.

[Image: 52850150607_d175f9c5ce_n.jpg]

(04-27-2023, 09:42 AM)rob024420 Wrote: [Image: 52850150607_d175f9c5ce_n.jpg]
LOL, I wish I had a better word ... the problem is, it's a perfect fit.

Maybe ... hijinks?

Do not retire. Rather, come to the dark side of hobby boxes.

(04-27-2023, 01:52 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Do not retire.  Rather, come to the dark side of hobby boxes.
I wish.

Got your package today, thanks!

Sent you some goodies, pretty sure you don't have them.