`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do I continue to bust packs when I can just buy cool stuff?

Why do I continue to bust packs when I can just buy cool stuff?
Edit: Got a nice Thomas Elite yesterday using the rest of my store credit ($50). 

Went to the LCS today to return a set I had purchased and decided to browse some singles. Glad I did. Paid $40 for everything pictured. so right at $4 per card. Also bought a Nolan Ryan Coke set ($5), a couple of packs of team bags (the reason I went) for $2 apiece and a few other Ryan cards. All in all happy with what I came up with. Much more so than had  I busted wax and came away with a stack of junk. 

Another decent pickup
Not rare by any means with a print run of 10k. But still a nice card. 

[Image: 52757712872_d107ef6e6a_z.jpg]

Lindor RC is #d/150;
Mussina is a refractor; 
Griffey White Prizm is #d/50;
Ryan is Gold parallel;
Score is a 1957T;
Noah RC is #d/150;
Grace RC is Topps Tiffany version;
Rolen is (I think) Holographic Blue #d/80

[Image: 52754739795_ce8be3c3e0_b.jpg]

[Image: 52754739760_00b5554825_c.jpg]

RE: Why do I continue to bust packs when I can just buy cool stuff?
Nice stuff! Congrats. Bustin wax is 95% a waste of money (excluding the "fun" factor) unless your trying to complete sets.
Enjoy!
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(03-18-2023, 10:13 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Nice stuff!  Congrats.  Bustin wax is 95% a waste of money (excluding the "fun" factor) unless your trying to complete sets.
Enjoy!

Yea, I agree. But I probably left a 1/1 Julio patch-auto-superfractor on the shelf by getting singles. That's just my luck. No change of hitting the grand slam when buying singles instead of packs/boxes. But also no chance of striking o ut.

I've been wasting money on BBC since the 1950's! Back then, the fun was using clothespins to attach them to my bicycle wheels so that I'd sound like a motorcyle (ok, well, maybe a moped) flying down the street (well, may the sidewalk). But what a ride it's been. I balance my fun these days by busting and single-ing.

When it comes down to it, we are ALL wasting money on this hobby. There is no pot of gold at the end since only a few will ever recover even close to what was spent over the years.

It is a hobby...which means it is money spent for fun. So, it has no bearing on whether you bust boxes or do online team breaks or shop for singles. At the end of the day, whatever is enjoyable for you. But, calling only some methods wasteful cracks me up!

Yep, I’m trying very hard to go the singles route these days … not as instantly gratifying but more satisfying in the long term.

Honestly, how many of us would do this hobby if we never opened a pack containing a great card of our favorite player to keep or rare prospect auto to sell?

I mean, how many $3 cards are we excited to have in our collection?! Once in a while I need to come across a 3-figure gem, and just buying singles will never make it happen without spending big bucks.

Update: I have a new answer to your question in the Forum within "Pre-Sell Paid Me Back With Gold".