`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Popularity of vintage football?

Popularity of vintage football?
I'm curious as to the popularity of vintage football cards in the hobby, particularly mid-50s.  One of those infamous "box of cards in the back of a closet belonging to a now deceased relative" has come to light and it's become my task to sell it all off for the estate.  The majority of all this is baseball but there was a small batch of 30 football cards in there, one from '55 Bowman and the rest from '56 and '57 Topps.

Now, there are literally two things I know about vintage football cards.  Jack and Squat.  Hell, I don't know much about the history of the game other than who won a Super Bowl.  With that said, I do recognize a few names in there and at least two are in the hall of fame.  I say at least two because I only looked up three and that was it.

I don't have the OPG for football and likely won't get it as it doesn't make sense to spend the money for even a month on this small batch of cards, instead just using the ORG for keeping track of things.  So I instead checked out ebay completed sales of some of the players I had heard of, to include the HoFers, in similar condition and was somewhat shocked to see how low they had sold for.  I certainly wasn't expecting a gold mine but I'm used to baseball where a HoFer or even a great condition semi-star from the era will sell infinitely better. 

So, after that long winded post, is interest in vintage football really that low or lacking?  Or, do I just have a very small sample size that I'm looking at and people are not interested in those years?

RE: Popularity of vintage football?
I'm not an expert, but it does seem like vintage football is not as popular as baseball or basketball. I don't know why this is, but it is. I have football pricing so if you need help with some pricing let me know. If that isn't allowed, then nevermind. Good luck with the sales.

(12-14-2022, 01:25 PM)akaus Wrote: I'm not an expert, but it does seem like vintage football is not as popular as baseball or basketball. I don't know why this is, but it is. I have football pricing so if you need help with some pricing let me know. If that isn't allowed, then nevermind. Good luck with the sales.
Yeah it's interesting.  Just read one article that popularity in football really took off shortly after the Super Bowl started along with the merger.  Maybe there's just a lack of interest in the pre-Super Bowl era.

I appreciate the offer on the pricing but I'll pass.  I don't think it's allowed and wouldn't want you getting in trouble or anything on here.

1955 Bowman and 1956 and 1957 Topps are all great sets - you will have no problem moving them although because of the relative popularity of the sports at the time, the football cards don't go for nearly what the vintage baseball do - even the best cards from 1950s football sell for fractions of what comparable baseball cards go for - and that has everything to do with relative popularity even though I'd argue that the vintage football cards often have better designs (1956 Topps is one of my favorite all time card designs - 1957 Topps is also an absolutely iconic set)

They are great cards though - fantastic designs - people will definitely buy them - but unless you have something like a high grade Johnny Unitas rookie you aren't looking at huge money with vintage football - they just aren't as popular as vintage baseball.

The Detroit Lions, in fact, were the greatest team in the history of the pre-Super Bowl era.

Three championships in the 1950s! Four titles overall!

One playoff win since!

LOL

(12-14-2022, 02:08 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: 1955 Bowman and 1956 and 1957 Topps are all great sets - you will have no problem moving them although because of the relative popularity of the sports at the time, the football cards don't go for nearly what the vintage baseball do - even the best cards from 1950s football sell for fractions of what comparable baseball cards go for - and that has everything to do with relative popularity even though I'd argue that the vintage football cards often have better designs (1956 Topps is one of my favorite all time card designs - 1957 Topps is also an absolutely iconic set)

They are great cards though - fantastic designs - people will definitely buy them - but unless you have something like a high grade Johnny Unitas rookie you aren't looking at huge money with vintage football - they just aren't as popular as vintage baseball.
Excellent.  Thanks for the insight!  I agree, both of these sets have a pretty cool design to them.  No Unitas rookie though!