`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Posts about selling out collection

Posts about selling out collection
There have been quite a few posts lately, as well as many in the past, from those wanting to sell out their entire or partial collections.  That includes me several times with minor success.

I see sites that help with selling singles or small lots, but I have not come across any that deal with 1,000s of cards within one sale.  Do you think Beckett would ever get involved or create a way to do this?  I would at least be confident it could make them some additional fees by acting as auctioneer of large lots for sale by trusted members.

RE: Posts about selling out collection
No, Beckett would never get involved with selling large collections of 1,000's of cards. Not worth their time or energy. I'm assuming that sales are for very low value cards. Please note that I am aware of a sale of over 1,000,000 cards + figures + comics + magazines + pennants ect.....for $3,000. No way Beckett gets involved in something like this.

I can get 5,000 count boxes for $10. Most if not all are worthless (re flipping cards) , but sometimes you find a card/s someone missed that are worth something. Not worth the time or effort. Shoot, it wouldn't even be fun to go through the cards yet try to monetarize them.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Ironically I know of several large scale collectors looking to exit for assorted reasons and truthfully I have toyed with the idea of substantially thinning my collection, As the boomers start to realize their mortality I suspect there will be many more looking to exit. Yes the 5000 count boxes of base commons will still have little to no value but I know of extensive player collectors (I am a Bonds guy myself) starting to consider exit options. So Kerry maybe you could develop a side gig into something???

I will tell you my tale.....

I tried selling off my collection. It is a horrifying process if you intend to get back anything close to 50% of its current comp value. The methods available consist of listing to an open marketplace like Craigslist (I pray for you) or FB marketplace.

I did more answering questions about the collection , than I did any selling. The typical question is, what years and brands....even though I listed them all in the sale. Or, are there any Mike Trouts, or (insert hottest player of the moment)?

People want to be guaranteed that there is some huge value to them buying the collection before they make the effort. I could list every Mike Trout I have and they would still ask, any 2011 Topps Updates in Gem 10?

That said, if you do get an interested party, they will offer a flat $1k for 50k in comps.....literally, you can spell out the comps, show them , etc......they want a homerun deal. Nobody buying this way is doing it to collect. Think about it this way, no "collector" is going to spend a significant chunk (5k or above) on a lot that is that large. They already have what you are selling.

So what did I do, I threw out everything from 2000-2009 that was selling for $2 or less. That put a huge dent in my collection and made me feel very good. Progress.
www.cardboardglory.com - Sortable checklists and other interesting hobby info

(07-02-2022, 12:59 PM)chester2002 Wrote: I will tell you my tale.....

I tried selling off my collection. It is a horrifying process if you intend to get back anything close to 50% of its current comp value. The methods available consist of listing to an open marketplace like Craigslist (I pray for you) or FB marketplace.

I did more answering questions about the collection , than I did any selling. The typical question is, what years and brands....even though I listed them all in the sale. Or, are there any Mike Trouts, or (insert hottest player of the moment)?

People want to be guaranteed that there is some huge value to them buying the collection before they make the effort. I could list every Mike Trout I have and they would still ask, any 2011 Topps Updates in Gem 10?

That said, if you do get an interested party, they will offer a flat $1k for 50k in comps.....literally, you can spell out the comps, show them , etc......they want a homerun deal. Nobody buying this way is doing it to collect. Think about it this way, no "collector" is going to spend a significant chunk (5k or above) on a lot that is that large. They already have what you are selling.

So what did I do, I threw out everything from 2000-2009 that was selling for $2 or less. That put a huge dent in my collection and made me feel very good. Progress.
My goal would be to sell at 10% to16% of BV plus shipping.  I have sold over 7,000 cards but only 33% of available.  Takes a lot of effort.

I wanted out also and as stated above everyone wants to know that they are getting a $5,000.00 card for their $500.00 purchase and other than that no real interest in buying bulk. I decided to donate (written off as a donation) everything I didn't feel was worth selling on eBay (under $15.00) due to fees, mailing cost and other issues your forced into such as paying taxes on item sell price, buyers paid taxes, shipping cost monies received, and several other fees collected via a 1099 form from eBay. I ended up Selling a collection with a Beckett value of $280,000.00 plus for $88,000.00 minus eBay fees, mailing supplies (mostly for donations), refunds to idiots that expected a grade 10 card and felt photos and descriptions weren't enough AFTER they received the card. Anyway, I took home around $67.000.00 after all the cost, and I was able to not pay taxes on the sales because I had proof of my cost over the years. I ordered/purchased a new 2022 truck that I enjoy so much more. I am not nieve, I still open cards here and there to donate. Only regret I have is I have over 380,000 cards in my excel data base, and it has become useless except when I watch eBay sales, I can recall having that serial number. I do love my new Ram 3500 HD!
Will always be looking for 2012 or 2013 Panini Cooperstown Signatures for the two sets I'm building-Will trade in your favor--will ship first--Thanks

Glad you like your replacement purchase...that will dwindle in value over the years just like hobby cards.

If I came into that much cash at once, it would be invested and then lose sleep worrying about it.

Here's the problem I've been having... 

I was able to sell off my Freddie Freeman collection a while back to my local LCS, but I barely got 50% bv. Since then, I have listed on marketplace several times with little to no interest at all. I have seriously thought about breaking up the collection and selling in team lots of like 50-100 cards and hopefully will eventually clear them out. That is something that I know will take a lot of time to go through them and sort them all out and package them, etc. I do not have that kind of time that's why I have just stuck to selling the whole collection at once. I've thought about putting them on ebay, but the fees probably wouldn't be worth it. Are there any other sites that might be interested in buying an entire collection, or is everyone only looking for high priced Trouts and prospects and such? 

I don't want to just donate or throw away my old collection, I want them to go to a good home.
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

50% of book value is usually pretty close to actual market value. Book value is nowhere near accurate to what something is worth. If I ever see someone whip out a Beckett in a negotiation I just walk away.

(07-13-2022, 06:46 AM)PhoenixRisen Wrote: 50% of book value is usually pretty close to actual market value. Book value is nowhere near accurate to what something is worth. If I ever see someone whip out a Beckett in a negotiation I just walk away.
Whenever I show interest in higher value cards, the owner claims that Beckett is too low and I need to give up more.