`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Where is Beckett getting these prices???

Where is Beckett getting these prices???
Yesterday, I pulled a Hank Aaron Relic card out of an Allen & Ginter pack.  A great hit for sure. 

However, Beckett Online lists the value on this card for $200 low and $500 high.  Where are they coming up with these prices, because that is NOT what they are currently selling for. The comp sales don't even crack $100. The Beckett price guide has become a laughing stock, and the center of a lot of arguments on values of cards.  It is to the point that EVERYONE knows the prices on the price guide are not valid.

The about section on the website reads:

ONLINE PRICE GUIDE - The Hobby's Most Reliable and Relied Upon Source TM
The Beckett Online Price Guide is the “Most Reliable Pricing Resource Online,” providing instant access to millions of sports, non-sports, and gaming card listings. The database features an exhaustive supply of pricing and checklists.

Nothing is further from the truth.  The Beckett price guide has become a punch line.

Beckett needs to put their money where their mouth is.  If that is what they say the card is worth, they should be willing to make an offer on the card. Or, at the very least, site the sources they used to come up with this value.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: Where is Beckett getting these prices???
The price guide is just that a guide. They do site sources in the MDR - this card does need to be adjusted since the 464 sale in August 2021. I'll report it

2021-Oct-23 $115.73 eBay Auctions 3 Bid(s)
2021-Sep-15 $112.28 eBay Auctions
2021-Sep-06 $149.00 eBay Buy it Now fixed price sale
2021-Sep-06 $126.70 eBay Auctions 5 Bid(s)
2021-Aug-26 $104.00 eBay Auctions 1 Bid(s)
2021-Aug-25 $193.26 eBay Auctions
2021-Aug-19 $464.70 eBay Auctions
Beckett.Moderator.Floydtown@gmail.com
TOS

[Image: florida-gators.gif]
U.S. Army-Retired
Member since 10-04-1997 (#113)

Beckett Real Time Pricing : $60.00 to $150.00
Price changed on 02/18/2022
Previous Price: $200.00 to $500.00
Beckett.Moderator.Floydtown@gmail.com
TOS

[Image: florida-gators.gif]
U.S. Army-Retired
Member since 10-04-1997 (#113)

I think the moral of this is that Beckett tried to price this as quickly as possible and didn't bother to update pricing as additional cards sold. Understandable with the number of cards in the market, but also one reason that we have to consider Beckett as a guide and not a price guarantee. I wish Beckett could tie in to update pricing on all cards quicker, but in no way do I want eBay to be the tell all for pricing as it is too easy a market to manipulate and there are lots of other places cards get sold where values are not always in line with what eBay shows.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

This has always been an issue with Beckett pricing.  I don't know exactly how the prices get changed but, personally I think they have a very small team or maybe just one person per sport that goes over all the market data and adjusts the prices accordingly, sometimes after the market has changed again.  Sure we can reference specific cards that we have or care about, that have price inconsistences, but what what if you were in charge of looking at the market data for every card and every player for an entire sport.  Doubt I could keep everything totally accurate myself.  Basically there's too much data and not enough people sort of thing.  At least that's how I rationalize it to myself.  I'm sure in the future they will find some way to automate it.

All that said; yes, Beckett is very inconsistent. Today (3/4/22) the Dustin Pedroia 2006 Topps '52 RC went from $10 down to $5.  I found this strange so I looked at the recent sales on eBay.  In the past 3 months there have been a couple sell for less than $10 but most of the sales are $20+ including a sale today for $25.  A couple of the sales at $35+.  There's no reason why this card should of went down in the Beckett pricing.  Looking at all Pedroia cards in Beckett, 6 of his cards went down in value most of which are his RC's.  He has only one card that went up in value, the 2013 Topps Five Star base card.  Looking on eBay, zero cards have sold in the last three months.  This card went up because almost every card in that specific set went up.  But still, changing the price on a card when none have sold (on eBay) is a little odd to me.

And... Ohtani's 2018 Topps Update Photo Variation has never changed in value according to the Beckett price guide.  When all his cards went sky high last year (and then came back down accordingly). The Update Photo Variation never changed in value from it original $25.  It books for less then the standard base card (which is at $40).  The Photo Var. sells on eBay in the $100-$140 range regularly... but if anyone wants to sell me theirs I'll pay 100% Beckett value ($25).  lol
Sets: 2008 Topps Moments & Milestones