`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Latest in Hobby Shenanigans - Shipping Without Toploaders!

RE: The Latest in Hobby Shenanigans - Shipping Without Toploaders!
(06-23-2021, 06:16 PM)jack pfiester Wrote: Years ago people didn't want cards shipped in top loaders because they tend to shift.  
Likely because they weren't putting them in a penny sleeve first.

(06-23-2021, 02:42 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: And the wonderful new collectors will send those off to be graded, because, you know ... literally every card needs to be graded.

The other day I saw a graded Giannis fourth-year Prizm base card for sale on Amazon ... like seriously, a 2016-17 base card.

The grading fee is about 10 times what the card is worth.

Gee, I can't figure out why the grading companies are so far behind.

Memo to my "new collector" friends:

Not. Every. Card. Needs. To. Be. Slabbed.
The quest for profit has led people to forget that card collecting is supposed to be fun.  And the fact that someone has actually made a "vintage parallel" that comes from the pack beat up is fun because it is so ludicrous.   

I have a couple of graded cards - every single one of them I bought for less than the price of grading - and I paid the same price if they were not graded.

Although some of those cards, I can't even understand why anyone graded them in the first place

(06-24-2021, 09:03 AM)wnclark22@outlook.com Wrote: Likely because they weren't putting them in a penny sleeve first.
I put every card in a penny sleeve regardless of value.
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

(06-24-2021, 10:32 AM)ZSDOne Wrote: The quest for profit has led people to forget that card collecting is supposed to be fun.  And the fact that someone has actually made a "vintage parallel" that comes from the pack beat up is fun because it is so ludicrous.   

I have a couple of graded cards - every single one of them I bought for less than the price of grading - and I paid the same price if they were not graded.

Although some of those cards, I can't even understand why anyone graded them in the first place
That's my point ... I'm not against graded cards in theory, though I think there's enough shade and shenanigans in that arm of the "hobby" to keep me sitting out.

What has bothered me this last year and a half is the absolute flooding of the market with graded cards (and the ensuing shutdown of the biggest grading companies).

To me, it's one thing if you have a 2011 Topps Update Trout you want to get graded ... that's a big money card and it's a good idea to slab it for protection.

(Personally I wouldn't let a card like that out of my sight and think a one-touch magnet is more than adequate protection, but still ...)

However, as I mentioned above, does a fourth-year Giannis base card really "need" to be slabbed? Is there that much of a market for a fourth-year base card?

It's not like it's a '56 Mantle or something, where someone will buy a fourth-year card with a 4.0 grade just because they want "ah" Mantle card.

(06-24-2021, 01:48 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: That's my point ... I'm not against graded cards in theory, though I think there's enough shade and shenanigans in that arm of the "hobby" to keep me sitting out.

To me, it's one thing if you have a 2011 Topps Update Trout you want to get graded ... that's a big money card and it's a good idea to slab it for protection.

(Personally I wouldn't let a card like that out of my sight and think a one-touch magnet is more than adequate protection, but still ...)
Definitely, with grading being ultimately inherently subjective (the same card could get a 9 or a 10 literally depending upon the mood that the grader was in or whether the grader looked at it at the beginning or the end of the shift), it ultimately becomes a matter of protection.

And I am with you - I have some cards that are probably worth grading for protection - we are already seeing counterfeit Mahomes rookie autos, for example - so getting my legitimate pack pulled ones graded probably is worthwhile to protect the cards and have third party assurance if I ever decide to sell that yes these cards I pulled out of a pack are real - but I am not letting those things leave my house in the mail - too much high risk.

I just got a set of the Trophy Finalists from Leaf - was not too expensive in the version I got and all numbered under 100 and three of the four cards were P.C. (Smith for Eagles, Trask for Florida, and Lawrence for Clemson - plus new Patriots QB Mac Jones) - the package arrived to me damaged with a note from the USPS - I was worried when I opened it because it looked like it was opened - but the cards were fine - I can't imagine the fear that would result with like a Trout rookie and the package from the grading company arrives to you damaged.

(06-24-2021, 01:20 PM)jack pfiester Wrote: I put every card in a penny sleeve regardless of value.
Same here.

(05-25-2021, 02:43 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I am not sure how low the toploader supply actually is, but the websites for BCW and Ultra Pro both show them backordered until April 2022. So, you cannot even buy them at high prices from the distributors!
I have found top loaders and penny sleeves on Amazon recently.  So they are out there.  Maybe a little more pricey, but they are available!
Thanks,
- Steve