`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1948 LEAF JACKIE ROBINSON REAL OR FAKE

1948 LEAF JACKIE ROBINSON REAL OR FAKE
                Hi everybody, this is the 1st time ever posting on a forum and need help. Can somebody please tell my by looking at these pictures if the Jackie is real or not. I have compared it to may other ones on ebay and it looks great. The back looks a bit odd though, the writing is black but has some ink that's bleed to the back from the front. Please help i'm trying to purchase this and there are no returns because it's a consigned item. Please help, need a reply as soon as possible. Thank you all

RE: 1948 LEAF JACKIE ROBINSON REAL OR FAKE
(05-04-2021, 01:04 PM)uwantwegetcards Wrote: Hi everybody, this is the 1st time ever posting on a forum and need help. Can somebody please tell my by looking at these pictures if the Jackie is real or not. I have compared it to may other ones on ebay and it looks great. The back looks a bit odd though, the writing is black but has some ink that's bleed to the back from the front. Please help i'm trying to purchase this and there are no returns because it's a consigned item. Please help, need a reply as soon as possible. Thank you all
Really can't tell from the scans, but be very wary. I would suspect a reprint based on both the condition and the no refunds policy. I'm not a fan of grading, but there is no reason a high dollar card like that should be sold without third party grading. If the seller is not willing to send it for grading, assume a reprint.
50,000+ Red Sox cards and counting.

That card is from 1949 Leaf

(05-04-2021, 07:35 PM)scottzoe Wrote: Really can't tell from the scans, but be very wary. I would suspect a reprint based on both the condition and the no refunds policy. I'm not a fan of grading, but there is no reason a high dollar card like that should be sold without third party grading. If the seller is not willing to send it for grading, assume a reprint.
Thank you for the advice. The reason there no returns is because it's a 3rd party auction house and everything sold from cards to jewelry to electronics to cars is sold As Is. The auction house cannot assume any liability over any disputes. If it is a reprint it is a great looking one. I have the real one and I keep pulling it out and looking at it and comparing and looks just like this one

(05-04-2021, 07:46 PM)jmhorn Wrote: That card is from 1949 Leaf
According to Beckett it's 49 and according to everybody else it's 48. Psa scg and all the others claim 48

This is currently a pretty hot card.  I can't tell if it's real or fake but this is a situation where if I was going to buy one, because of the card that it is and the money it commands, I'd purchase a graded one from one of the reputable grading companies.  Too many fakes out there to risk it.

(05-04-2021, 08:04 PM)uwantwegetcards Wrote: According to Beckett it's 49 and according to everybody else it's 48. Psa scg and all the others claim 48

There are cards in the set with a 1948 copyright and others with a 1949 copyright so it's a mixed bag.  All cards were distributed in 1949 though.

I have always had a fairly strong opinion on high end cards that the person selling states something along the lines of "since it is not graded I am selling as a reprint". You see a lot of this from 52 Mantle's to T206 Wagner's, several Ruth Cards, and RCs like Robinson. Here is why it is almost always too good to be true. Unless somebody is severely desperate, and I mean "I need money right now!" kind of desperate, if they knew it could be authentic or good reason to believe so, why wouldn't they spend the money to get it graded. A card like this if graded a PSA 2 would still command $10,000, but ungraded but leading people believe it MIGHT be authentic is about $200-1000 (unless they are claiming it is authentic with a guarantee then maybe $2-3K). Who in their right mind would give up that kind of money if they thought it might be real... nobody. They know their card is fake, they are a terrible person, and a scam artist.