`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Wave

The Wave
I was watching a Red Sox game the other night and I am just curious about something.  Every time a Red Sox player got a hit and reached base safely they WAVED.  Who are they waving to their mom, team mates, the fans.  I know young people today live in a world of self gratification.  The "me, myself and I" generation. But are they glorifying the fact that they got a hit. Are we suppose to stand up from the couch and wave back at them or cheer the fact they reached base safely. I know over the past year or so MLB tried to inspire the young players to have fun. But to me this makes it look like little league baseball.  The time that your 8 year old son/daughter got a hit and they were proud they reached based safely and waved to you as you waved back to them in approval. I know back in the day talking the 60's.  If a player did something like that on the bases. The next time you faced Bob Gibson or many other pitchers from that era you would have gotten drilled. I guess I'm just used to the way baseball used to be played.  Any comments or your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading...
Looking to trade for any Hall of Fame Topps base cards.

RE: The Wave
Franchy Cordero started it when he doubled and waved to his mates in the dugout. It caught on with the team. All teams do something similar. It builds camaraderie.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Funny how we notice when a MLB player occasionally pumps a fist, flips a bat, or screams out in pleasure...when almost every NBA player pumps their chest, flexes, screams, and poses for the camera anytime they score or block a shot.

Are MLB players held to a higher level? Or, are we just used to NBA players being jerks and cocky idiots!

Baseball today brings together a diverse group of players and fans.  Players from many nations and cultures.  Fans from all generations. 

I think the younger generation players are a [mostly] good example of how to get along in that climate.  It is good to see them having fun together.  

I expect to see people looking and acting different than I do.  That includes stuff I don't necessarily like or agree with.  If you are watching that by yourself, try to enjoy the silliness of it. If, however, you're watching with your son, daughter, or grandchild, use it as a teaching moment.

Every team does something like a wave ect after a hit. Part of the game that builds camaraderie. On the Phillies - 'Cutch plays Rock, Paper Scissors with the 3rd base coach after hitting a homer and Hoskins sends a sign to the bullpen when rounding 2nd after hitting a homer. No biggie - leads fun to the game.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(04-25-2021, 10:32 AM)corbin21 Wrote: I know young people today live in a world of self gratification.  The "me, myself and I" generation.
Millennial checking in, not all of us do... but an internet forum isn't the right place to dig into nuance.

(04-25-2021, 10:44 AM)zeprock Wrote: Franchy Cordero started it when he doubled and waved to his mates in the dugout. It caught on with the team. All teams do something similar. It builds camaraderie.
Agreed on the team building. Not everything players do on the field are for the fans, sometimes they do stuff for each other too.

(04-25-2021, 02:37 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Or, are we just used to NBA players being jerks and cocky idiots!
Couldn't have said it better myself. MLB includes your teammates, NBA its all about "me"

I stopped watching NBA partially because of what you said. You'd think hitting a 12 foot jumper was as important as brain surgery or as hard as hitting a 100 mph fastball 400 feet with a wooden bat.
- - - - - - - -
As for my wife, my children & myself our hero is Jesus Christ.
Bowman's Best Project (6/1/23)
Cards Have/Total Cards: 3992/19,873 (20.1%) 
Value Have/Total Value: $20,838/$455,802 (4.6%)

(04-29-2021, 12:23 PM)wrm1107@roadrunner.co Wrote: Couldn't have said it better myself.  MLB includes your teammates, NBA its all about "me"

I stopped watching NBA partially because of what you said.  You'd think hitting a 12 foot jumper was as important as brain surgery or as hard as hitting a 100 mph fastball 400 feet with a wooden bat.
Yeah, exactly.  I will say the NBA is a team sport...Me, Myself and I.  Remember when Assists meant something to John Stockton to win games?  Now an Assist means he missed his last 5 shots and the Coach is watching, so he better dish it off!