`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why collect a player while he's hot?

Why collect a player while he's hot?
There is a trend I have seen for many years on Beckett and I just don't understand the reasoning behind it.

What is it?  Trading for/purchasing hot players.  

Why wait until the value is high before going after a player's cards?  If you are a collector, didn't you already like that player before values went up?  If you are an investor, why are you buying high rather than low?

Either way, it makes no sense.  Anybody else understand?

If you look at the Trading Forum you will see many posts asking for players that currently/recently increased in value.  It seems late to me!

RE: Why collect a player while he's hot?
Capitalism.

(04-23-2021, 10:51 AM)jmhorn Wrote: Capitalism.
Would you like to expound on that?

My guess is hoping they'll continue to go up so they can flip them at an even higher value before the bubble bursts?
I'm always open to trading.  My wants are varied (multiple sets from 1980 to now and some misc. players) and all my wants are marked.  Open offers welcome!

Trade Scans

I understand, but like everything else it's not so black and white. I think most of the Beckett activity is on the trading side, not the purchasing side. Wither flipping or just filling out their collections, there is no cash impact besides shipping for trading. An example - I was sent a trade request by someone I had never seen on the boards before asking for a 2010 or 2011 card that had increased to $28 conditional book value- in reality the actual selling price was north of $40 Their side trading to me (from my wants list) was 5 cards at roughly $28 - so equal BV. Point being, the card in value was a RC for a player who had been traded and did great but I didn't care about for 5 cards I cared about/needed. Hope this make sense.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Let me clarify...I am not talking about trade offers. I am talking about posts asking others to provide them a player either immediately after or long after their values increase.

For example, one specific guy on Beckett was asking for Trout RC right after they jumped. Now someone wants Jonathan India after his cards increased. Why not get them when low?

This is a great thread and ties in with my earlier thread about the timeliness of pricing in the OPG. Jonathan India is a good example. When his cards first came out back in 2018, he was fairly highly touted, but eventually faded into somewhat obscurity. Fast forward to Spring Training 2021. He has a great Spring Training, and makes the team, and is doing fairly well so far this season. I think its natural for demand to increase this year, where it was likely quite soft the past 2 years.

In years past, cards would go up in value incrementally, but for many cards now, especially Chrome cards, there is an immediate and massive spike in value. Corey Seager's 2016 Topps Chrome RC is the example that comes to mind. Check out the current value of that card and then check what it was listed at prior to the spike. That didnt used to happen.

So with all of that said, the increased demand for India's cards right now is natural and timely. With the market as volatile as it is, its impossible to time both your desire for a certain players card and when it'll spike in value.

(04-23-2021, 11:31 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Would you like to expound on that?
Demand on the market (whether for purchase or for trade) drives value up.  Performance on the field seems to be driving the demand.  Why wouldn't you see a spike in trade requests corresponding to value increases?

There is another component that addresses your question.  This one is specific to MY "LTTF Jonathan India" post.  Until recently (just last year actually), I was primarily a base set and rookie card collector.  Drafts and prospects cards were not on my radar.  So, a guy like India (who doesn't have a rookie card out yet in a base set) was an unknown Reds player that is killing it on the field this year.  I know I'm late to the game, but I want his cards.

I think I am an atypical collector and baseball (the sport) fan.  I rarely attend games.  I don't watch games on TV.  At best, I follow scores online.  I do follow statistics and league leaders on a regular basis.

(04-23-2021, 12:51 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote:  Jonathan India after his cards increased.  Why not get them when low?
Got it!  Regarding someone like India - probably had no cards at all (like me) so they get some cards.  Wither flipping or collecting - who knows.  We all have our own reasoning for hoarding and how we go about it.  What makes sense to me doesn't to someone else.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Thanks for everyone's input. I luck out when choosing a player that becomes great and increases in value. I also have players that never got above $3 for RC. Either way, I collect players that catch my attention. Everyone can do it their own way...so I was not saying it was wrong or stupid. I just wondered why. Peace.