`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trout RC reprints and mini-rant

RE: Trout RC reprints and mini-rant
Ones we have seen don't have the Silver Foil.Not sure if that holds true for all unmarked reprints or not.

I got my card today.  Not sure if it's a reprint or counterfeit but for $9, I don't really care.  If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will.

cspen Wrote:I got my card today.  Not sure if it's a reprint or counterfeit but for $9, I don't really care.  If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will.
Thanks. I haven’t seen any good pics of the counterfeit cards yet.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

cspen Wrote:I got my card today.  Not sure if it's a reprint or counterfeit but for $9, I don't really care.  If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will.
Clint, try imgbb.com ... free and easy to use.

cspen Wrote:How can you tell if its a reprint?  Does it say that on the card somewhere?  I just ordered a Trout reprint for $9 just for the heck of it.  When it gets here how can I tell it's a reprint?  I have a reprint of Ichiro's Japanese Bowman Chrome rc but it says reprint on  the back left lower corner above the Topps logo.
Usually the fakes that people are calling "reprints" don't have the foil for the Topps logo.  Had one come in my LCS last year like this and the person thought it was real and wanted to sell it.  The card stock was also not right, but you can't tell that unless you take the card out of the top loader and penny sleeve to feel it.  I have seen numerous fakes the past year, compared to only seeing one or two in the previous 5 years combined at my LCS.  Almost every one is from an unsuspecting person buying a card on eBay.  One of them even got past the owner of the shop as it was a vintage Hank Aaron card, but only worth around $100 and it was aged too.  I noticed it right away as the aging looked off to me and when he took it out of the top loader he realized it right away.
The real issue on eBay is not just those listing them as "reprints" but those that just put "RP" in the title to fool those that don't know any better.  In general anyone selling a "reprint" on eBay that is really nothing more than a fake should be banned from eBay.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I recently saw a list somewhere on ebay of cards that are not to be sold as authentic unless they are professionally graded.  If they're not professionally graded they are to be sold as reprints.  I'll dig around later to see if I can find that link again.  I don't think the Trout RC was on that list but with all the activity it receives it should be looked at anyway.  I do know that the list included the usual suspects; '33 Goudey Ruth's, '52 Topps Mantle, Gretzky RC, various tobacco cards, etc.

The Trout's you're speaking of aren't even reprints but are counterfeit cards.  Ebay doesn't seem to care one way or the other though if you ever report anything.  It's only my opinion, but I think the only way anything would be done with the fakes on ebay is if Topps got involved.  I know of a few companies that go after sellers on ebay for selling fakes.  Things along the lines of high end purses, phone cases, clothing, etc.

I've seen more than a few people who got scammed on the fake Trout cards on ebay.  One problem is that the seller doesn't identify the card as a "reprint" in the title but does so further down in the item description.  Another problem is the buyer not reading the full description and only going based on a title/picture.  Yet another problem is that these things even exist and people use them to rip people off.

I’ve tried to report as many counterfeit cards as possible.
eBay doesn’t care.
The problem isn’t the person buying the counterfeit Trout RC ... they should fully realize that it’s fake when they pay $10 while every other card is selling for $1000. They didn’t get lucky, they got scammed for $10
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

DrMitchJ Wrote:I’ve tried to report as many counterfeit cards as possible.
eBay doesn’t care.
The problem isn’t the person buying the counterfeit Trout RC ... they should fully realize that it’s fake when they pay $10 while every other card is selling for $1000. They didn’t get lucky, they got scammed for $10
Exactly ... if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.