Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting ratio's

Interesting ratio's
So I found this interesting.

2020 Bowman Prospects BP8 Jasson Dominguez Population reports,  **there also nearly the same amount of Chrome graded 10's as well.**

PSA 10 (GEM) -  2072 cards
PSA 9 ( Mint)- 693

BGS 9.5 (GEM) 561 cards
BGS 9   (mint) 96 cards

SGC 10 (Gem) 165 cards
SGC 9.5 (Mint+) 157 cards

There are more 10's by a big share then lesser graded 9's.   Outside of SGC which is the only company with a .5 between Mint and GEM.  SGC 9.5 are likely 10's if cross submitted to PSA and BGS.

Food for thought when it comes to discussions and debates of what will be valuable and what will not.  So even with believed massive production #'s there are still substantially less 1987 Topps Barry Bonds in top condition. 

1987 Topps

Barry Bonds
PSA 10 1382 cards
PSA 9 4720 cards

BGS 9.5  512 cards
BGS 9 1583 cards

SGC  10  110 cards
SGC 9.5  12 card
SGC 9  454 cards

RE: Interesting ratio's
Interesting. Does that mean that sports cards in general are better made and packaged now than they were in 1987?

jbissell Wrote:Interesting. Does that mean that sports cards in general are better made and packaged now than they were in 1987?
Yes, and that's why I've never understood the grading thing for modern cards.

Does a 2020 Prizm card that's in flawless condition right out of a pack really need to be graded?

With the proliferation of quality cell phone cameras and scanners these days, I've saved myself thousands of dollars on "graded" cards just by ... wait for it ... looking at the pictures!

Especially since cards like the Gretzky rookie are being given PSA 10s now despite clearly obvious flaws, I can say I have even less faith in "grading" than I did before.

dimarco73 Wrote:1987 Topps

Barry Bonds
PSA 10 1382 cards
PSA 9 4720 cards

BGS 9.5  512 cards
BGS 9 1583 cards

SGC  10  110 cards
SGC 9.5  12 card
SGC 9  454 cards

Not including the 2020 cards in this because I don't even know if it's been possible this year to send in a card for grading and get it back more than once based on everything I've read.

However, with the example of 1987 Topps Bonds up above and I guess a lot of other cards as well, I wonder how many of the '87 Bonds cards have been graded multiple times by the same company or even by multiple companies.  And, if with the same company, how many times has it gotten same/different grades?  If all of that was able to be tracked, I wonder what the actual numbers would be.

Just something I've always wondered when it comes to pop reports.

Purpose for getting modern cards graded is mainly based on "investment" with surety Surety being protection. Modern cards are most certainly better manufactured/packaged and the glossy/rigid/chrome cards make it easier to receive a card that is going to grade high. Credit does need to be given to people who do submit cards for grading and have tools like microscope's that allow for very close reviews before submitting.

That being said, do the math for a $6 new "raw" card that can sell for $60 high-graded - easy $30 based on a $10 grading cost + postage and selling fees.

It's all about the money!

Im always afraid to send in stuff for grading because its kind of costly, and I would expect disappointment in the grades I got.

jbissell Wrote:Im always afraid to send in stuff for grading because its kind of costly, and I would expect disappointment in the grades I got.
I'll be sending in some stuff to be graded but not likely until mid-2021 at least.  I want to wait until turn around times are back to somewhat normal.

I usually just get my mindset to expect the worst possible outcome on grading so that way I'm happy with the result when they arrive.  With that said, I'm more just preserving them with a "professional" grade so when I eventually kick the bucket, if my family decides to sell them off and not keep them, it should in theory make it easier for them.

The idea of the exercise was to highlight how many high grade modern cards are available within the hobby within the same year that it was produced (2020), compared to what may be considered one of the most mass produced cards of the "junk wax" period.

In 1987 you bought a box of Topps for under $15. 36 packs, I believe 17 cards per pack.
2020 Topps $ 20 7 packs 14 cards.

jbissell Wrote:Im always afraid to send in stuff for grading because its kind of costly, and I would expect disappointment in the grades I got.
For me it's actually the opposite.

Back before the 2016-17 NBA season started I bought a Panini Instant card of Kevin Durant for my Warriors PC because I couldn't wait for a real card, LOL

I was shocked at how thin the card stock was, because I'd never bought an Instant card before.

A couple of months later, during Beckett Customer Appreciation month, I won a $30 gift certificate toward a BGS grading.

The Durant was not in perfect condition but I decided to get it graded just for the protection aspect.

Lo and behold, it got a 9.5! ... despite a very obvious white chip on the lower right corner on the front of the card.

(The corners got a 9, the other 3 subs were 9.5 or 10s, so voila ...)

Point being, this is not a "gem mint" card ... it has a noticeable white chip on a red border, on the front of the card.

Now that Durant is gone I have very little interest in this card but won't trade it or sell it because of the flaw.

Point being, I'm just not into graded cards ... I don't see the value in it one way or the other.