`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What triggers a card value spike?

What triggers a card value spike?
I was noticing this morning that Jared Walsh's rookie card in 2019 Topps Update spiked over 1300%. I can definitely see and understand why his cards would be increasing in value, but 1300%???

Alec Bohm is having a really nice rookie season and his cards by and large arent doing much of anything. Same with Bobby Dalbec and Ryan Mountcastle.

My guess is that its just a matter of time, but Walsh's spike is really quite remarkable in a year of remarkable baseball card news.

RE: What triggers a card value spike?
I think there are lots of factors that contribute to a price increase in a player's cards. A breakout season, the market he plays in, any noteworthy accomplishment like throwing a no-hitter or hitting multiple home runs in a game. Sometimes even his name or reputation.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Walsh..a Georgia product is a 2 way player for the Angels..(like Ohtani)..he is hitting well= .328 and has an ERA of 1.80 in very limited roles (5 IP)..lets see what happens..just pulled 2 of his RC out of the common box!!!

Just saw in today's paper that Walsh has 9 games in a row with a least 1 run and RBI,,1st Rookie to do that..he was playing 1B

Very interesting. I was happy to see that I own 3 of his paper update RC's, but no Chrome unfortunately.

Incidentally, when looking at recent sales for 2018 Bowman Chrome Prospect Alec Bohm, it appears it is poised to spike soon as well.

I trust nothing and no one when it comes to 2020 card values.

rjcj2017 Wrote:I trust nothing and no one when it comes to 2020 card values.
Crap.  I was going to offer you a Tiger prospect base card for only $15 cash + shipping.

kerryandbeth Wrote:Crap.  I was going to offer you a Tiger prospect base card for only $15 cash + shipping.
LOL, sounds about right.

People buying into hype.

Supply + Demand + Buzz
There’s limited supply of retail so there’s demand in the aftermarket and the guy is generating a buzz ...
Jared Walsh just hit the trifectaSmile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.