`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
R.I.P. Horace Clarke

R.I.P. Horace Clarke
I heard today that 80 year old Horace Clarke passed away.  
He had a 10 year career from 65-74, but from 67-73  ‘Hoss’ was the Yankees’ starting 2nd baseman and switch-hitting #1 or #2 batter. He wasn’t a superstar, but he was good (batting .250-ish and stealing 20-30 bases a year) during a time that a second baseman was really there for his speed and defensive abilities.  I always liked him and often imitated his unique batting stance, which often irritated my Little League coaches. Smile 
Acquiring Willie Randolph was a defensive and offensive step-up for the team and one of the early pieces of the puzzle that helped to build the Yankee Dynasty ... but it also took Horace Clarke away from being a regular starter, which also effectively ended his career. He was traded to the Padres during the 74 season and retired shortly thereafter. 

FF89190-C-807-A-4-F5-E-AB2-E-16-B13-BBC9-B13
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: R.I.P. Horace Clarke
I remember Horace Clarke. I can still picture his 1970 Topps card where he's down on one knee leaning on his bat with a batting helmet on and those huge teardrop eyeglasses.

R.I.P. Horace.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Seems like every pack of cards I opened contained a Horace Clarke....why not a Rick Wise or a Deron Johnson once in a while...SOB was probably the nicest thing I called him at the time....Damn I loved him, why...I have no idea.... RIP Horace!

Phillies_Joe Wrote:Seems like every pack of cards I opened contained a Horace Clarke....why not a Rick Wise or a Deron Johnson once in a while...SOB was probably the nicest thing I called him at the time....Damn I loved him, why...I have no idea.... RIP Horace!

Hiya Joe!
good to ‘see’ you.
yeah, Horace was a ‘lovable’ loser, like all the Yankees from 65-73. ‘Hoss’ as Phil Rizutto called him was a decent second baseman. Average hitter and managed to have a 10 year career with The Yankees during a time before Steinbrenner. I wish I kept getting his card like you, otherwise I wouldn’t have had to trade away all my Nolan Ryan & Tom Seaver Cards to get My Yankees from my school yard pals.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

You brought up someone I'd forgotten. Horace was one of my few favorites from that era. RIP Horace.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

(12-14-2022, 12:12 PM)JefferyKOtt Wrote:  Thanks to the legend (yes, I realize it's hard to call him a baseball legend) for a good childhood.
This is what the "hobby" is about....cards put a smile on our face (most of the time) and remember where we were and who we "hobbied" with.  Thanks for bringing up 'ol Horace!
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

He is from before my time so I never heard of him.... started collecting in 86 and funny enough I know more 60's players than I do from the 70's
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(12-14-2022, 03:40 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Never heard of him.  Sad he died, but does anybody know the names of thousands of others that died last month?

I hate how we value certain lives above others, and yet it is nice when somebody recalls fond memories of those who may have impacted their lives.
Man, thread is from 2 1/2 years ago discussing someone who died that impacted the OP's life somehow.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

I guess this head cold is worse than I thought.

Horace Clarke's XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX