`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
WHAT IS GOING ON W/EBAY PRICES????

WHAT IS GOING ON W/EBAY PRICES????
I was out of collecting for about a year and I come back to see every seller basically asking for 2x high Beckett on cards. Especially anything Auto'd no matter what the population. I also noticed COMC seems to be a contributing factor in driving these prices. 

The weird thing is I would expect some negative feedback on these sellers. 99% I look at have none??? What is going on with the market.  I feel like its time to get out again????

Any feedback or is it just me???

RE: WHAT IS GOING ON W/EBAY PRICES????
There have been a few threads on this ... basically people are bored at home and, for example, are just now figuring out that Mike Trout is really good at baseball, so they're paying silly money for second year base cards.

The retail sharks are not helping by buying up pretty much any retail product that is put out on the shelves at Walmart and Target, and the card companies are not helping, for example, by selling $150 products like Elite basketball for $400 per box.

The common thought is that if/when things get back to normal and people go back to work, cards will go back to being a hobby and this new wave of "investors" will simmer down a little.

But hey, now is the time to be a seller, for sure.

COMC is now over 75% full-time or part-time professional sellers who are using COMC as another way to sell.  People like me who just want to clear out cards on that site are able to sell while ridiculous priced cards sit.

For example, I had a Juan Soto card for sale at $75. Some guy bought it and immediately put it back up for sale at $200! Beckett has a value of $120 on it.

There is also somebody from Beckett who sells on COMC for 4 to 6 times valuation. Crazy. I like that businesses have the freedom to go after a profit but this is supposed to be a hobby.

kerryandbeth Wrote:COMC is now over 75% full-time or part-time professional sellers who are using COMC as another way to sell.  People like me who just want to clear out cards on that site are able to sell while ridiculous priced cards sit.

For example, I had a Juan Soto card for sale at $75.  Some guy bought it and immediately put it back up for sale at $200!  Beckett has a value of $120 on it.

There is also somebody from Beckett who sells on COMC for 4 to 6 times valuation.  Crazy.  I like that businesses have the freedom to go after a profit but this is supposed to be a hobby.
That is what I am seeing...FLIPPERS on cards.....I guess I have too bow out for awhile again. I miss the days of going to shows and good ole fashioned trading....

Here's my thought on this...People can ask what they want to for their cards. If they want to ask 5x what it's worth (the sale value not what a magazine says), then that's their business. If they want to ask half, then that's their business. But just cause a card is listed for an amount doesn't mean that's what it's selling for. buckneje67 Wrote:I was out of collecting for about a year and I come back to see every seller basically asking for 2x high Beckett on cards. Especially anything Auto'd no matter what the population. I also noticed COMC seems to be a contributing factor in driving these prices. 

The weird thing is I would expect some negative feedback on these sellers. 99% I look at have none??? What is going on with the market.  I feel like its time to get out again????

Any feedback or is it just me???

Also, you don't have to bow out. Just be patient. See what cards are actually worth, what they're selling for, and bid/wait accordingly. Yes, there are a lot of flippers, but that's part of the business, any business really. I enjoy trading as much as the next guy. But seems no one trades these days, especially on places like Blowout and Net54. People don't trust other people to trade. My past LCS owner would always trade for Rangers, Cowboys, stars, etc. She'd give 1/3 BV, but I'd always trade in $1-$2 inserts in bulk to be able to open a few packs. buckneje67 Wrote:That is what I am seeing...FLIPPERS on cards.....I guess I have too bow out for awhile again. I miss the days of going to shows and good ole fashioned trading....

kerryandbeth Wrote:COMC is now over 75% full-time or part-time professional sellers who are using COMC as another way to sell.  People like me who just want to clear out cards on that site are able to sell while ridiculous priced cards sit.

For example, I had a Juan Soto card for sale at $75.  Some guy bought it and immediately put it back up for sale at $200!  Beckett has a value of $120 on it.

There is also somebody from Beckett who sells on COMC for 4 to 6 times valuation.  Crazy.  I like that businesses have the freedom to go after a profit but this is supposed to be a hobby.
I guess my only problem here is: Who decides if it's a hobby or retail? Makes me feel that some of you (and I'm not pointing this at any body specifically) consider yourselves the hobby police. If you don't like the pricing don't buy the card. I feel the prices will come back to a normal range sooner or later.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

bamyanks Wrote:I guess my only problem here is: Who decides if it's a hobby or retail? Makes me feel that some of you (and I'm not pointing this at any body specifically) consider yourselves the hobby police. If you don't like the pricing don't buy the card. I feel the prices will come back to a normal range sooner or later.
I get it.  There are no rules to stop others from buying and reselling.  What bothers me is that I am a set collector and only a small minority of Beckett users trade base cards, let alone log them in to ORG, and then COMC sellers price a 60 cent card at $1.25.  So, where am I supposed to acquire these cards other than spending way too much?!

Those base card prices have nothing to do with the market...it is all based on greed.

kerryandbeth Wrote:I get it.  There are no rules to stop others from buying and reselling.  What bothers me is that I am a set collector and only a small minority of Beckett users trade base cards, let alone log them in to ORG, and then COMC sellers price a 60 cent card at $1.25.  So, where am I supposed to acquire these cards other than spending way too much?!

Those base card prices have nothing to do with the market...it is all based on greed.
What sets are you doing? I have plenty of 1993 upper deck.  The only thing is I have a lot spread out over several boxes and I don't hurry, hurry so you get them in less than a week.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

bamyanks Wrote:What sets are you doing? I have plenty of 1993 upper deck.  The only thing is I have a lot spread out over several boxes and I don't hurry, hurry so you get them in less than a week.
1993 Upper Deck...yeah, right.  Like I lost my brain to Covid-19.   Tongue