`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018-19 chronicles playoff RC

2018-19 chronicles playoff RC
Can somebody tell me why the number 183 card in this set - Luka Doncic - is NOT listed as a RC by Beckett? To further mystify me, Chronicles 110 (brunson) and 112 (Robinson) are RC, while 111 (Doncic) is not. 166 Luminance (Doncic) is not RC while 167 (Simons) is. Of the Playoff group (171-200) NONE is RC. Several of the Essentials 201-?? are RC but most are not. I typically go with the Beckett RC designation, but most sales I see are calling this (183) a "RC". 
Thanks! 
Woody

RE: 2018-19 chronicles playoff RC
Good question, because as I understand it, each of these "sub brands" did not have their own standalone brand, hence they should all be rookie cards.

Mods?

Anyone know the answer to this, it's a great question.

This sort of explains it (I think).

Years ago I remember either hearing or reading that a card can not be a "RC" if it is part of a set that is only rookies. I am mainly football, so these are football examples. This was the case with 2008 and 2009 Upper Deck Rookie Exclusives (100 card sets, none considered "RC"). I think it also held for sets that were only college uniforms like Upper Deck (after losing nfl license), Sage Hit, Leaf and Press Pass.

For Chronicles, it is slightly different but some of this kind of holds. The Chronicles portion of the set is rookies and veterans. Therefore, the rookies for Chronicles are "RC". All of the other subsets appear to be strictly rookies, therefore (based on first sentence above) they are not considered true "RC".

Hope this helps a little.
I collect Andre Johnson, JJ Watt, Redskins who played in the 70’s & 80’s, HOF’ers and Texas A&M Aggies.
Email: rbredskin@windstream.net
No trading outside the U.S.

Makes sense, but I know there are vets in this year's Prestige portion of Chronicles (not sure about other subsets).

Wish Panini would figure this out and make it consistent.

rjcj2017 Wrote:Makes sense, but I know there are vets in this year's Prestige portion of Chronicles (not sure about other subsets).
Just looked.  And your right there are vets in the Prestige portion, however the rookies are tagged as "RC".

Looks like it is a little more confusing this year or maybe easier, but I think this is what they did:
First there appear to be only vets in the "Chronicles" portion (1-50),  so no rookies there.
What appears to happen next is that a lot of (or maybe all of the subsets are a mix of vets and rookies, didn't check them all).  So it looks like the true "RC" is that players first numerical appearance in the set.  For a lot of them it is Prestige, then some in Threads, Panini, etc.  But each rookie only has the one true "RC", for a total of 40 "RC's" overall.

Note: this is for 2019-20 Chronicles
I collect Andre Johnson, JJ Watt, Redskins who played in the 70’s & 80’s, HOF’ers and Texas A&M Aggies.
Email: rbredskin@windstream.net
No trading outside the U.S.

dogger99 Wrote:Just looked.  And your right there are vets in the Prestige portion, however the rookies are tagged as "RC".

Looks like it is a little more confusing this year or maybe easier, but I think this is what they did:
First there appear to be only vets in the "Chronicles" portion (1-50),  so no rookies there.
What appears to happen next is that a lot of (or maybe all of the subsets are a mix of vets and rookies, didn't check them all).  So it looks like the true "RC" is that players first numerical appearance in the set.  For a lot of them it is Prestige, then some in Threads, Panini, etc.  But each rookie only has the one true "RC", for a total of 40 "RC's" overall.

Note: this is for 2019-20 Chronicles
Luckily I haven't found a single retail pack of this so it affects me in no way, LOL

I traded 3 Lukas from last year's Chronicles for 3 Zions from this year's Chronicles, and also bought an Andrew Wiggins card in his new uni for my Warriors PC, so that filled the void at least somewhat.

My favorite sport to collect is basketball ... I haven't busted any new cards since March.