`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It might be time for me to leave the Hobby

It might be time for me to leave the Hobby
I started collecting cards as a kid in 1967 for 5 cents a pack. Although I only collected for 2 years 67 and 68 I always enjoyed opening those packs and seeing who I got and trading my Mickey Mantle's for Willie Mays. In 1983 I started to collect baseball cards again. And it helped me rekindle the spirit I once had. Now let's fast forwad to 2020. I recently got a call from Beckett to renew my membership. I'm not sure if I can justify any longer paying a lot of money for a membership that I don't use that often anymore. I have Sirius radio for $5.00 a month which I would consider a resonable offer. But what Beckett offered as a GREAT deal to me was not. Also I buy 95% of my cards from 1 paticular online company. Over the years I have bought hundreds of Hobby and Jumbo boxes. Until recently the prices were somewhat affordable.  A Topps Series 1 hobby jumbo box is going for $222.00 and a Topps Series 2 hobby jumbo box is $188.00. I used to buy Hobby boxes for $35 and Jumbo boxes for $50.  I'm sorry but to pay that much money for a box of cardboard is no longer a wise expense to a hobby I love. From now on I will be forced to just buy a Topps complete box set and be happy with that. My subscription expires on June 18th. Unless I get another stimulus check (LOL) I just don't have the disposable income any longer to pay for a hobby that has gotten way over priced. Thank you for taking the time to read my rant. Maybe Beckett will read this thread and decide to give me a better DEAL. If not, it was fun while it lasted...
Looking to trade for any Hall of Fame Topps base cards.

RE: It might be time for me to leave the Hobby
corbin21 Wrote:... Maybe Beckett will read this thread and decide to give me a better DEAL...
Always leave 'em laughing.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Like me, many have been frustrated with Beckett and posted complaints. But, until we decide to drop our subscriptions, things will not get better...profits equals business as usual.

They called me last month to renew my subscription I like what kind of fool do you think I am my full sub expires in July and you want me to renew now?! I am not getting screwed like that and hung up. They haven’t called me back yet I guess they are waiting until July to call me again
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

Once again, I feel that for $100 a year I get a 12 month subscription for the magazine plus the OPG.
I was buying the magazine from Barnes & Noble 8-10 times a year. So as far as I figure it, I’m about breakeven plus I get the OPG basically free. The new update allows me to punctuate properly once more so I’m happy with that. Smile At least it’s a positive change. Does the OPG function as perfectly as I want? No, but it works. *

*the author is not affiliated with Beckett or any of its subsidiaries. He is not being remunerated in any manner and therefore has no conflict of interest in writing this post. Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Yeah I'm with you, I subscribe for 100 bucks a year to have the price guide plus the ORG is a great tool to have my collection organized and to research my stuff. I've never traded here or anywhere, I figured most people subscribed to Beckett for the same reason I and DrMitchJ described.

BigBlueAL Wrote:Yeah I'm with you, I subscribe for 100 bucks a year to have the price guide plus the ORG is a great tool to have my collection organized and to research my stuff.  I've never traded here or anywhere, I figured most people subscribed to Beckett for the same reason I and DrMitchJ described.
Trading is a great benefit as well. So far everyone here has been terrific trading partners. 

As far as the price for hobby boxes escalating beyond control, I can only say that if you don’t buy anything  they may realize that they have to readjust their pricing back down.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

kerryandbeth Wrote:Like me, many have been frustrated with Beckett and posted complaints.  But, until we decide to drop our subscriptions, things will not get better...profits equals business as usual.
Been here 8 years - I am done in August. The org. without pricing could be a consideration but no interest in renewing what I have now.

Sure, the OPG is a nice tool for organizing my PC, but the pricing portion of it has been very disappointing lately. Not only does it take forever to be priced, but some high-end items are never priced, and I am not talking about 1 of 1's.

For those of us who never use or search eBay, knowing what my Madrigal /10 or Acuna /5 value for trading is important missing info. Some of you say "Beckett value means nothing when trading or selling high-end items". Then I am only paying for the organizing function, right?!

I will continue to subscribe but be frustrated with this.

As far as the price guide and org are concerned, I find it to be worth the money despite the fact some stuff takes eons to get priced.

What is more concerning to me is the price of what used to be mainstream packs of cards. A "normal" pack of Bowman at my LCS is $12.50, and a jumbo pack is $45.00! (Up from $40 a week ago) That is ridiculously and prohibitively expensive for what used to be a mainstream brand of cards.

Publications are literally calling Jasson Dominguez the next Mike Trout. I believe he and Witt being in this set are the reason for the high prices. There is going to be ungodly amounts of pressure for Dominguez especially to succeed.

Remember the Hunter Greene hype? That has cooled off a lot, and so have the values of his cards.