`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what are you doing during this quarantine/coronavirus time?

RE: So what are you doing during this quarantine/coronavirus time?
I just got back into the Beckett scene about a few months ago. Right now I am inventorying my cards seeing that I moved again 2 years ago (I.E. happy wife, happy life cough, cough, cough Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin ) and it's the reason why I left in the first place (couldn't afford the online price guide) . Still got a ways to go on my inventory but am still buying cards here and there to complete the GQ Mini's that I need.

(04-13-2020, 01:11 PM)animie67 Wrote: I just got back into the Beckett scene about a few months ago. Right now I am inventorying my cards seeing that I moved again 2 years ago (I.E. happy wife, happy life cough, cough, cough Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin ) and it's the reason why I left in the first place (couldn't afford the online price guide) . Still got a ways to go on my inventory but am still buying cards here and there to complete the GQ Mini's that I need.
I am not picking on you personally, but I cannot count how many times I have read that collectors cannot afford the OPG for $11 per month and yet spend $100's or $1,000's on cards...just does not add up for this Certified Public Accountant.

Has any of them actually figured out how much a daily cup of coffee costs them per year? Hmmm....

I understand what you're saying, but I usually buy 1 blaster every couple of weeks if I'm lucky. If I buy a flat rate, then that takes the place of my blaster. Also, I don't drink coffee. I'm limited to about $40/paycheck to spend on cards, meals, etc. It really sucks.

And it's not that I don't want to spend $11 to trade. It's that there's so few traders on this site any more. Just in the few weeks I've been back, I've noticed I'm looking at the same ORGs every time. Also, BV is pretty much irrelevant, except on lower end $1-$2 type stuff and base. On anything mid to high end, BV doesn't matter. That's what a lot of people say.

(04-13-2020, 02:28 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I am not picking on you personally, but I cannot count how many times I have read that collectors cannot afford the OPG for $11 per month and yet spend $100's or $1,000's on cards...just does not add up for this Certified Public Accountant.

Has any of them actually figured out how much a daily cup of coffee costs them per year? Hmmm....

Working from home (garage), wife and kids at home too, trying to be respectful of the quarantine stuff, only looking for cards if I'm out for other stuff.

I made an awesome trade with Zeprock a couple of weeks back to pick up the one baseball card I really wanted this spring and quenched my appetite for football draft stuff with a few blasters last week, so I'm good.

Everything just feels like one long, continuous day at this point, I'm guessing I'm not alone in that.

(04-13-2020, 02:28 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I am not picking on you personally, but I cannot count how many times I have read that collectors cannot afford the OPG for $11 per month and yet spend $100's or $1,000's on cards...just does not add up for this Certified Public Accountant.

And their Dynamic Duo is usually $109 ($99 on sale around Xmas) for 12 months OPG plus a 1 year sub to BEckett Baseball Mag. ... that is like 9 bucks a month
Not judging, but I think that there is a value there. The price guide with all the flaws is still worth it to me. My financial picture is pretty dismal right now, but luckily, a hundred bucks is something I can still manage once a year.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.