Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1987 Topps - Junk Wax

1987 Topps - Junk Wax
Quick question about the junk wax era:

Example: 1987 Topps Mark McGwire Topps #366
Price: Low: $1.50 / High: $4.00

These prices have been steady for years now.

Even though I understand that the Beckett price doesn't necessarily reflect the reality of the market, I have a question. Does the price take into consideration the total amount of cards understood to have been printed or only what is in the marketplace.

Reason for question: places on ebay have been doing box/case/pallet breaks for years and thousands/tens of thousands of these cards have entered the marketplace just in the last 12/24/36 months due to the large amount of NIB inventory still available for purchase.

So basic question is; was Beckett always basing the price on the millions that were originally printed, or does the flood of inventory still hitting the market still affect price? If so, why no movement up or down?

RE: 1987 Topps - Junk Wax
Whether it occurs or not, prices SHOULD represent what another person is willing to pay. The amount of product showing up for sale may have an impact on buyer-seller negotiations but should not be a major factor in actual Beckett pricing.

I cannot prove any of this...just my opinion.

RE: 1987 Topps - Junk Wax
I always take Beckett's pricing as "suggested retail price" instead of actual selling/sold pricing.