`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
My Observations about 2020 Topps

My Observations about 2020 Topps
Let me start by saying this is only the 2nd time ever that I have busted Series 1 of Topps (other year was 2016). I only bought 2 boxes so a small investment compared to what I usually buy, intending to put together a base set and maybe some inserts.

1. Can these cards get any thinner? I have never been nervous sleeving cards before but this was a bit cumbersome.

2. Topps put the Landscape cards upside down. Beckett has already put photos on OPG and all the landscape cards have the team and name of the player upside down because that is how the landscape cards are always shown (bottom facing right).

3. Some photos are not so flattering to the player, meaning some awkward body positions or off-field moments or just plain weird. If I was a rookie I would be concerned which photo they are using.

4. How is Beckett already pricing the base card veterans of 2020 Topps the day after release and yet Elite Extra Edition from December 5th is not yet priced at all!

RE: My Observations about 2020 Topps
Stunned they have some pricing out already.

Has anyone opened any of the retail tins from Walmart yet? trying to decide if they are worth the $15 vs. hangers.
Set builder
Collecting Rafael Devers, Juan Soto, Red Sox, Nationals, and HOFers for my PC

(02-06-2020, 02:52 PM)mlbguru8 Wrote: Has anyone opened any of the retail tins from Walmart yet? trying to decide if they are worth the $15 vs. hangers.
Isn't the tin about the exclusive card possibility and the can itself?

Couple things ...

There is a workaround on getting cards into penny sleeves.

I actually (in case you haven't noticed from our trades, LOL) take a pair of fine point craft scissors and cut a half-inch incision along the top right edge of each sleeve before inserting the card in - learned that from a card shop owner a long time ago.

Yes, it's time consuming but avoids the chipping/corner white-out fears that we all have, LOL

As for the tins, I agree 100 percent ... I will grab a Trout tin if I can find one so that I can fill it with Trout PC stuff.

It's definitely worth the $5 markup to me over a typical hanger.

What did you get in your second box?

(02-06-2020, 03:45 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Couple things ...

There is a workaround on getting cards into penny sleeves.

I actually (in case you haven't noticed from our trades, LOL) take a pair of fine point craft scissors and cut a half-inch incision along the top right edge of each sleeve before inserting the card in - learned that from a card shop owner a long time ago.

Yes, it's time consuming but avoids the chipping/corner white-out fears that we all have, LOL

As for the tins, I agree 100 percent ... I will grab a Trout tin if I can find one so that I can fill it with Trout PC stuff.

It's definitely worth the $5 markup to me over a typical hanger.

What did you get in your second box?
Unopened still...a bit guilty taking a break from work last night to open Box 1. Haha

Tins? First I'm hearing about this.

(02-06-2020, 02:52 PM)mlbguru8 Wrote: Has anyone opened any of the retail tins from Walmart yet? trying to decide if they are worth the $15 vs. hangers.
I went to order some online when I saw the announcement earlier this week and they were already sold out. I am hoping one of my local Walmarts has some tins as I will be buying 1 of each player for sure, and probably a few more too. I think the exclusive cards in them will make them highly desirable.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(02-06-2020, 05:18 PM)mgruber2 Wrote: Tins? First I'm hearing about this.
Check the home page in the new section, I think it posted yesterday maybe, they're pretty cool looking

(02-06-2020, 01:12 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: 4. How is Beckett already pricing the base card veterans of 2020 Topps the day after release and yet Elite Extra Edition from December 5th is not yet priced at all!
Because Beckett pricing is in no way based on actual market data for actual sales.