`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cespedes contract revision

Cespedes contract revision
I read about this today at https://www.foxnews.com/sports/cespedes-...to-6malong with a blurb about the future of ball and strike calls by computers.
I like the way Cespedes contract was restructured as his his injuries were reported to have happened during an unapproved activity. Perhaps someday teams will go to more incentive based contracts as a Giants fan I remembered the Zito deal all to well during the Strausburg/Cole spree. I also recall Ron Gant getting hurt on a Motocross Bike after anew contract (yes I am old)

RE: Cespedes contract revision
The restructuring was due to the Mets filing to withhold paying him due to his ankle injury that as a result of a non approved activity that he was withholding from the team.
The players union filed a grievance and both sides settled on the restructuring before going to a hearing.
The Mets get relief of most of his lofty 2020 pay and Cespedes gets something when he should likely have gotten nothing.
There are some steps in the contract as well. If he notched 1 day on the activeroster his pay jumps to $11 million and if he attains 650 at bats (very doubtful) it jumps to $20 million.

Yankees have something similar with Ellsbury, as they are trying to get out of his 2020 salary due to using unapproved medical staff which the Yankees claim attributed to his ongoing injuries.
Players Union has a grievance against them as well.

Another notable former Yankes player that got injured do to playing an unapproved sport in the off season tearing up his knee. Aaron Boone playing Basketball in the 2003 off season, leading the way to the Yankees acquiring Alex Rodriguez to play 3rd base. Boone would go on to miss all of 2014 and A-Rod would quickly become the Lightning Rod for the next 13 years in the pinstripes.